Saturday, June 24, 2006

Ahhhh...Father's Day...

It was a great Father's Day. I didn't have to do anything. I did my chores on Saturday and Rachel and Jake wouldn't let me do anything except cook, because I like to cook.

They got me a telescope and a light blue Kangol (which you will see me wearing in an upcoming post about the Beach Boys concert we went to - you may recall Rachel got me those tickets for my birthday).
The scope is great- it's a lot more serious than the little one we got to see Mars back when it passed close while we lived in Petaluma. The moon is amazing, and I've seen Jupiter and it's moons. You can even see color bands on Jupiter. And I've found some easy stars like Spica, Arcturus, and I forget the name of the other one. Antares, maybe? I need to practice and get it all dialed in. I really want to see what a galaxy looks like, and supposedly you can do it with this one.

Then there was dinner. I grilled ribs. (I have a new method for beef ribs. Rather than boil them, I season them and then pour beer and soy sauce over them and bake them in the oven at 400 for an hour and a half or so, covered with foil. Then I put them on the grill over flames for a few and then cook another 20 minutes or so with indirect heat, slathering with BBQ sauce for the last 10 minutes or so. Best yet!) I also grilled chicken, carrots, and asparagus. I made rice with peas and lima beans, and had a couple of tall glasses of Newman's Virgin Lemonade. I ate it all while watching Revenge Of The Pink Panther with my family.

I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, as they say. If I changed the telescope to something golf related and the Lemonade to Dr. Pepper, it could have been my Dad's perfect Father's Day. I remember when he took me to see Return Of The Pink Panther when I was six or seven. I think it was at the Serramonte Theater. He laughed until he cried. I'm told that when I was born, he was watching an earlier Pink Panther movie in the waiting room and when the nurse came in and told him "It's a boy," he laughed out loud because something funny happened in the movie.

That's nothing like Glenn's great Father's Day post - it's worth a read (click here) - but it's the best I can do right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

can you see me with that telescope over here in Jersey?
I'm lifting a beer and saying "Thanks" man!
Glad you got to enjoy your day...
those frickin ribs sounds hella tasty!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home