Friday, March 31, 2006

20 Years Ago...

So I've got my 20 year high school reunion coming up. I always thought it was rough being tubby in high school. Well, it was worse in grammar school, and junior high, I guess. Partly because Iwas even tubbier then. I was actually fairly fit by the time I was a senior in high school. I weighed around 185 in wrestling season, and I benched 230 the following Summer.

I recently got back in touch with a friend from back then, Rob Brown. We e-mailed a few times and then had a phone call. He was a bean pole in school. About 6 feet tall and weighed probably less than I did, maybe 165 or so. I haven't seen him, but he says he's up around 260 or so. I can't picture it. That's him on the left in the picture below.

That picutre was taken almost 20 years ago. Rob says a friend of his says he now looks like the guy who ate Rob Brown. I still look about the same. Well, less hair. But today when I received the e-mail he sent with that picture attached I had to laugh. I realized that I am wearing the exact same style Adidas track suit today, only it's black and the one in the picture was blue.

I wonder what happened to that suit.

The little girl, Rebecca, in Mike's arms has graduated from Stanford. Emily there has a PhD in, I think, psychology. She worked for a while with the famous Dr. Drew and Love Lines. Mike is a successful MFCC living in Novato. Rob worked for a long time creating art for the Odd World video game series and now runs his own Art Studio. And then there's me. A few weeks ago, I was a successful small business owner. I guess I'm still a small business owner, it's just not very successful right now. I'm essentially unemployed, at least for a few days.

I'm not sure how I got off on that tangent, but I guess I still have some issues around the current state of things.

The point of this blog was supposed to be how looking back, I'm glad I was tubby in high school so when people see me at the reunion, nobody will say I really let myself go or anything. But I do look a lot thinner in that picture. I'm maybe an inch taller and about 40 pounds heavier.

I've got to get on that treadmill more often. The reunion is in September.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey look, there's Crockett & Tubbs behind you!!!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Yeah, and I made a mistake - that's not Rob on the left, this picture was taken back when I was hanging out with Anthony Michael Hall. Pst Breakfast Club, pre Edward Scissor Hands.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home