Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Great Chimichanga Disaster...

So Ted had to visit a cabinet shop in Lakeport. Incidentally, Ted and I went on a long hiking/camping trip some 10 years or so ago. On that trip, I taught him a Beastie Boys rap (Finger Lickin') that goes like this...

Hear No Evil See No Evil Talking No Bullshit So Many Damn People Are So Damn Full Of It Keyboard Money Mark You Know He ain't Having It Just Give Him Some Wood And He'll Build You A Cabinet

Why is this information relevant? Well, only because of the cabinet reference. Oh, and I guess our dinner was finger lickin' good, just like the song says.

Anyway, since he was in Lakeport and is heading for the Bay Area, he dropped by for a visit and is spending the night. He's upstairs right now sleeping on the pull out bed in the library/Rachel's office/guest bedroom.





He wore my silly chef's hat and made the guacomole...










I made just about everything else. I decided to make it a Mexican feast. I made tortilla chips in the fryer - way tastier than store bought. And I planned on Tostadas, Burritos, and I decided I would try to make Chimichangas as well.

I folded that puppy up with cheese,onions, ground beef, and the shredded chicken I made all afternoon, put it in the basket, and then lowered it carefully into the fryer. I read that you need to let the tortilla seal by putting it in slowly. I'm not sure what I did wrong, because I did put it in slowly, and it all looked great for a few seconds but suddenly turned in to

THE GREAT CHIMICHANGA DISASTER!!!
















It all happened so fast. First it floated up, then start filling up like a big flour tortilla baloon, then the wheels came off and the thing flowered open, essentially dumping the contents in to the hot oil. The cheese sort of liquified and then hardened with bits of meat stuck in it. The whole vat of oil is ruined. I guess it could have been worse, but I'm not sure how short of a fire.


And I was beating myself up about it for a while. I haven't had anything go so terribly wrong as that in a long long time. But the rest of the meal was good. Ted's guacamole was great. And we had good dinner table conversation. Ted asked if I'd given any thought to cooking healthier. I really hadn't, but now I have, and I will think about it more often.

Anybody want to buy a slightly used fryer?

Jake has an ear infection or something, but was able to join us for dinner. I guess I'll have to run him over the hill to the doctor's tomorrow. He did snap this picture for us...


After dinner, Jake went to bed and Rachel, Ted, and I went downstairs to hang out and talk.


I'm not sure what Ted did to make Cody spazz out like this...


...but I caught it with the camera. He's doing kind of a spastic 180 at full run from a dead standstill or something.

I got a nastygram from the ex-partner. I think he was trying to trick us in to saying we aren't going to pay him anything ever so he can sue us now instead of waiting until January 1, 2008. He gave us a deadline of this Friday or else. And I'm just about ready to tell him to talk to the hand, or our attorney. I so wish he would just go about his life and leave us alone. It's a bummer, but the company is in bad shape and probably won't recover and there's just nothing there for him. Or even for us for that matter. We still have the coporate taxes to pay and talk may be cheap - unless you are talking to an attorney. And we've had to talk to him a lot lately. By the way, his name is John Moore. I like him so far.

In other news, I've gotten one job offer and I'm expecting another tomorrow. The first one was too low, but I'm giving them a chance to counter. The second one will be about right and I think it's where I'd rather be anyway. And they are based out of Chicago, so I'll get to visit Travis when I have to go visit the office. That's a big plus for me. It will also give me the flexibility to keep CommTech on life support in the hopes that something can still be salvaged. Maybe Chris will be able to get someone placed at Virgin once he is a full time employee. Or not. I don't much care anymore, really.

Maybe that's the acceptance finally settling in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home