Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Rock Of The 80's - KQAK The Quake...


Anyone remember The Quake? Alex Bennett and Joe Rigelski in the morning? Back before Alex Bennett became an insufferable prick? Naomi - Fred's ex-girlfriend. With local comedians? Big Rick Stuart. The Lobster. Anyone? It was a big part of my life my junior and senior years of high school. They played all new wave all the time. A couple of years ago, there was this big nostalgia for hte 80's and a whole bunch of mix tapes and CDs claiming to be the best of the 80s. Each of those albums, in my opinion had mayve two or three songs that were a part of what I listened to back then. But to make my ultimate 80s compilation, you'd need two songs from each of those crappy store bought compilations and about 20 other songs not on any of them.

Like Robert Seidler's Christian Boy. The chorus of "No more scooter rides in the cemetary," haunts me to this day. I'll be in the shower or driving, or perhaps walking by a cemetary, and the words just float up from the depths of my consciousness and come singing out of my mouth. I couldn't find the song anywhere - even back when I used to use Morpheus and Napster and whatnot.




Well, about a month ago, I got tires put on the Jetta. And I had some time to kill, so I browsed around the Clearlake Hospice Thrift Store. There I found, first, a cassette of The Pet Shop Boys, please. So I'm probably at least a little gay. But then I found this weird cassette - The Quake' FM 99's Rock of 1984. And guess what - there's no Van Halen on it. But it does have Christian Boy. I was so thirlled, I also bought a pair of penny loafers for a dollar.










I listened to the tape all the way home and then got all dressed up like I was in high school - right down to the odd colored polo type shirt with the collar up, my letter jacket, and yes, even my Ray Ban Cats sunglasses.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ted Seymour said...

You look fantastic. FYI, Joe Regelski can be found on KOZT (The Coast) in my area now.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home