Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Eve

Oh, Ive been working hard
Mmm, trying to make some money
Would you like sour cream
On your potato, honey?
I been kissing ass
Trying to keep it clean
Serving the middle class
Yeah, its a clean routine
Watching the clothes go round
Watching the clothes go round
Watching the clothes go round
Watching the clothes go round

--The Pretenders













So there's Rachel, amazed at the new washer. Later she spent some quality time with the dryer. We could only do one load last night because we didn't know that "HE" means "High Efficiency" and you need special detergent. It came with one little sample pack. If I worked at Sears, I would tell my customers who just spent a bunch of money on a new washer that they should go buy some special detergent. But I don't. Apparently you have to be a complete idiot to work at Sears. At least in Clearlake. The delivery guys were cool, though.

So I'm trying to put the whole shopping experience behind me, but there's one thing I'm having a hard time with. The delivery guys tell me there's a "stair charge." $1 per stair. They add up quick when you are taking away two old appliances and bringing in two new ones. I showed them the route they could take with only 1 stair. And then that guy Nick, who was remaining nameless before but not now, tells me he has to charge me that fee. "It's written on the counter." Um, I ordered on the internet. I explained to him that there is a perfetly acceptable alternate route that only has one stair. It was just silly and I ended up hanging up on him and tipping the delivery guys. If he charges my card, I will call and complain to Sears, but not to you anymore. Promise. I'm done bitching about how awful the manager at the Clearlake Sears store is. But I hope he has a nice Thanksgiving anyway.

The fridge is a beautiful appliance. And when you get a glass of water in the middle of the night, it illuminates the glass and the floor looks like a little watery disco. And there is a lot more space than we had before. It's making my Thanksgiving cooking much easier this year.







Speaking of which, I'm done making the stuffing and the magic cookie bars and moving on to prepping the ham for the rotisserie tomorrow.

I am spent. I worked today, and then went shopping for almost four hours. And we cleaned and stuff. Rachel and Jake did a fantastic job on the house while I was shopping. and I've got a cold. So like I said, I'm spent.

I cannot go on.

I go on.

Still more to do. But tomorrow when everyone is here that is coming, it will be worth it. We are down to just 9 this year as the McNaughts can't make it. More leftovers, and we'll try to do a conference call toast. I love John's toasts.

Note to Sis - I left you a message. I know I wasn't the only one crying chopping onions tonight. And soaking raisins and chopping celery and all that. I had to use two pans for Lola's stuffing this year because last year it didn't last. I love you and please try to find a minute to give me a call tomorrow. Wish you could be here.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Bro...No tears-I cheated and used Safeway's PRE-CUT onions this year. Probably a buck or so more, but sometimes ya gotta say "what the...." Happy Thanksgiving!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home