Thursday, November 09, 2006

200...

...and the reunion is...

I wish that was my weight. And it will be some time next year. 200 is my target weight. I'm at about 234 right now. Halloween was rough. Tough choices, you know?


And we've been busy, so it's been tough to get on the exercise equipment. And Rachel's back has been acting up. And the sun was in my eyes. And...I know.

Anyway, 200. That's what I was talking about. Blogger keeps track of how many posts you've created on your blog. This is post #200. I doesn'tfeel like I've written 199 other posts, but there it is.

Anyway, I should have a lot to talk about. It was a big day yesterday. I stayed up late watching returns, and revelling in the results as one seat after another went blue. I flipped over to Fox to see how they took it. It was almost funny to hear Brit Hume glumly announce that the Democrats took the House (almost 10 minutes after CNN did). And then he said something like, "We don't root here, had the other side [pronounced "our side"] won, we would have had the same fireworks display." Fireworks? He could barely make the announcement - it was more like an admission. If I were physically able, I would have done a backflip when McCaskill pulled ahead. By midnight, it looked to me like it was all over, but the fat lady won't sing until after Thanksgiving and the Webb/Allen recount.

So that was great. Then I spent some time looking at the California returns.

Can anyone explain how the same state can elect Arnold by a huge margin and also Jerry Brown?

How is it that I am surrounded by Wal-Mart red necks, and yet Mike Thompson won my district with 65.2% of the vote?

And in greater California, apparently all we care about is keeping sex offenders out of our cleaner parks and water. The rest of the big number propositions failed. And all of the little number propositions won. How did we not pass the oil tax? Maybe Thomas Frank's next book should be "What's The Matter With California?"

Still, in all, it was nice to drink a little tequila on election night in celebration instead of despair.

I tried making a new potato dish last night. Rachel found it in Martha Stewart Living and asked me to make it. It's baked potato shred on top of a round of bermuda onion, heavy on the Rosemary.


It was pretty good, but I think some different spices could help it. I might make it for Thanksgiving, but it will be tricky as we only have one oven. Plus, I'm partial to mashed potatoes and gravy. Maybe I'll make both. Jake liked it a lot.





I put together a plate of leftovers for my sister. Laurie and I had lunch in Calistoga today. That was fun, and we plan to do it more often. It was about a half hour drive for each of us. Taking a long lunch is a perk of working from home that I don't take advantage of often enough. We met at Copperfield's Books and went for Mexican food and got caught up on things.

In reading this over, I think this post is a fairly good representation of all 200 - some politics, some cooking, and family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home