Monday, November 06, 2006

It's Election Day...Please Vote...

I'm not even asking you to vote Democrat. Although I would prefer it if you did.

Just vote.

If you're a Republican who is fed up with the way things are going and just can't bring yourself to vote for a Democrat, well, leave those blank. There are a lot of important measures on the ballot.

I have three, no, four strong recommendations:

1.) Angelides (or at least not Arnold) for Governor. Honestly, I don't think Angelides has a chance, so I'm considering voting my conscience and choosing Camejo (Green Party). The biggest electoral mystery to me is how most Californians seem to have forgotten how pissed off we were about the bogus special (pronounced "special interest") election back in June. We were outraged. Since then, he's been doing things more to my liking. Which I find odious. And if I like his ideas now, then the Republicans who voted for him before should hate him. Unless they aren't apying any attention. Maybe that's it. Mystery solved.

2.) Jerry Brown for Attorney General. What can I say, I love Governor Moonbeam. I was rooting for him for President some years ago. What was that, '92? My understanding is that he almost became a Buddhist monk. That's why I was rooting for him. I think it would be great to have a Commander in Chief whose belief system starts with a non-violent religion. And I am generally unthrilled with the way Republicans have been eroding our Civil Liberties.

3.) Yes on 87. The ads against are paid for by Chevron. One of the greatest things about California is that we lead the way on progressive ideas. That smoking ban everyone was so up in arms about years ago has caught on just about everywhere now. Except, I think, Las Vegas. And guess what - the bars are still open. And it has saved lives. On this one, we should lead the way on alternative energy. Oh, that, and (full disclosure) Rachel's paycheck comes from Bottle Rock Power, a steam plant.

4.) No on 90. I can't believe this one is on the ballot and how I almost fell for it. The wording makes you think it is about eminent domain - and prevents the government from taking your house to build a strip mall. On a quick read, I thought it was to prevent that nasty business that happened back East where the city took some private citizen's property to build a mall "in the interest of the community." But the reality is it forces the government to pay developers for not building. Say they want to build 500 homes on a site and the EPA, or a planning commission restricts the building to 200 homes. The developer can make a claim on the government for the revenue lost from the 300 houses they couldn't build. I'm not kidding - that's what it's about. Vote no.

Oh, and I said 4, but I meant 5. 5 things.

5.) STRONG YES on 89!!! We need to get money out of politics. Impossible, I know. But publicly financed campaigns are a big first step towards this end. It all starts here in terms of reform.

Any suggestions or opinions on these or other ballot initiatives or candidates, I'd love to hear them. And I'm all confused on 1A-1F. In general, I'm for better roads. I remember growing up in California, and our roads used to be great. But some of them are for more freeways. I'm less inclined to support those. Improving existing roads I'm for. And expanding and improving public transit I'm for. I'm just having a hard time figuring out which ones do what.

And finally, I'd like to share why I love voting, and not just voting, but voting in person. First, I complain a lot about all things Bush related. For a brief time after colelge, I subscribed to the bumper sticker logic of "If voting mattered, it would be illegal." That's a Berkeley type bumper sticker there. But since then, I've changed bumper stickers to: a.) "If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention," b.) "If you didn't vote, then shut the hell up," and c.) "Kill your television." I know c.) isn't particularly relevant, but I like it.

Anyway, if you're a Lefty like me, if you dont vote, well, then you get the government you deserve. You should be all fired up to to vote for change. And if you're a moderate unhappy with the way things or going, or even a Republican who has come to realize that the current batch of Republicans (from Duke Cunningham, to Hastert, to Foley, to Santorum and so on) have sold out their party's values to the highest bidder, then you need to go vote for change.

And if you're a flag waving red neck Wal-Mart shopper with "Support Our Troops," and/or "Freedom Isn't Free," and/or "Remeber 9/11" stickers on your 9 MPG pick up, then you need to remember that our troops are fighting and dying for our freedom which isn't free because of 9/11, so go vote. Actually, nevermind - maybe you should stay home and read a book. Just kidding. You should vote. But vote Wednesday when the lines are shorter.

Aside from those reasons, my favorite part of voting is the equality. Every year, and occasionally more frequently, each of us is given the opportunity to vote. For me, it's not about Democracy as it is about equality. There is no fast pass, everybody has to wait in line. Nobody gets a better seat because they paid more for their tickets. You can't buy a better ballot. It doesn't matter if you have a PhD, college degree, or even a high school diploma or a GED. It doesn't matter how big your house is, or even where your house is (so long as you show up at the right polling place). Your car stays in the parking lot - and more power to you if you walked. The time we spend voting is the one time we are all equal. We should enjoy that time to the fullest.

I want to anticipate any cynics out there on this notion, because the cynic in me says, "Yeah? Well what about Ohio? What about poor African American districts that don't get enough voting machines? What about..." And before the cynic in me can finish, I tell my inner cynic to shut the f&%k up! This is a beautiful idea and I won't let you ruin it for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home