Saturday, September 22, 2007

My first golf outing with my son...

I had one of those nostalgia filled milestones yesterday.

I can remember playing golf once with my Dad and his Dad. Just once. And I didn't play the whole course. Dad used to sneak a few of my clubs in his bag and let me try to play a few holes int he middle of the course away from the pro shop. And, of course, I have played a lot of golf with my Dad over the years. And now, the tradition continues. I played with Jake for the first time yesterday.


Jake needs a lot of practice at the range because it was a largely frustrating experience for him. He hit a few houses. No whiffs, though. And he somehow managed to get a par on a short par 3. I don't know anyone who got a par on their second time playing, except for Kim Jong Il. Hopefully he'll stick with it. And hopefully some day we'll have a foursome with Michael and my Dad. And then someday I'll play with Jake and his kid.

Anyway - we played with a couple of his friends. I tried my best to not be a dork Dad, and I guess I did OK because they said they'd like to do it again.

This is Jake's friend Eric who isn't very good...

...but he is a nice kid and treated the game with respect.

Then there's Blaine, who is going to be a monster. Check out his follow through...

From the third hole on, I called him Tiger. We only got through 7 and a half holes because of darkness. And he beat me by a stroke on almost every hole. I think I tied him on one.

Now, in my defense, I haven't played in a while. And we rushed down there and went right to the first tee. And, of course, my shoulder is killing me today because it was cold and it was stupid of me to do that. But I really wanted to get out on the course and let go of the stress of the last couple of weeks.

And I did that, for the most part.

Oh - and we took our cart. That was pretty cool. On the course, it feels as fast as any other cart I've been in. And it made it home fine. So I might try to take it out for 18.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home