Sunday, September 16, 2007

Someobdy wrote the wrong ending tonight...

It was storybook baseball. Almost a cliche. Bottom 9, 2 outs, bases loaded, Red Sox down by 1 with Big Papi at the plate and Rivera on the mound.

It should have been a towering home run.

Or perhaps an opposite field double off the monster. But alas, here you go Glenn...

It felt a little like the '86 series. A little. Like 1/950 th of the stress and pain. And even 1/950th of the pain is more than most people can endure without passing out.

OK, it wasn't that bad, really. But it was exciting. And that's one of my favorite feelings while watching professional sports. I watched a lot of football today and didn't get that feeling once. Not even when Seabass kicked the game winner, that wasn't a game winner, and then hit the upright with what would have been the game winner. Not even when after the morning games I was winning Brad's pick 'em pool.

There is nothing in all of sports like a close Red Sox-Yankees game when both teams are playing well and it matters.

The worst thing of all is this loss gives the Yankees the edge 10-8 on the season. And if the Red Sox somehow manager to blow it with their magic number at 9 this late in the season, well...

I don't even want to think about it.

And that picture was cheap. Here you go Glenn.

Good bet, well won, sir.

4 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

I tip my cap to you, Eric as you stayed true to your word like the gentleman you are!
Although I was too chickensh*t to watch the end of it...(Michele will tell you that I personally have broken up a no-hit bid by Chien Ming Wang this season just by turning the damn game on) It woulda been sweet justice if Papi had been the game winner, but that's baseball for ya...Quite a season...Maybe I'll put together a Papi sketch for you anyways Eric...He's got a great face...Thanks for making the weekend interesting!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Ted Seymour said...

Eric,

Can you love Derek Jeter, really love him in your heart, and still want to beat him? What do you think?

My neighbor Mike stopped by yesterday and said that in reading something during his meditation he learned that he can't reach Nirvana until everyone on the planet reaches Nirvana - even Howard! (our other neighbor-Mike's Derek Jeter). There's very long term implications to that for RedSox fans I'm afraid.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I think so. I mean, I love you, really love you in my heart and I still want to kick your ass the next time we play Scrabble. Same with Glenn, and I really wanted to win that bet.

On the other hand, I will spray ants that invade my pantry and you ask them nicely to go outside and invest in a few hundred dollars worth of Tupperware. So I've got a ways to go yet.

After I get over my initial anger at, say a neighbor, or a tail-gater, or whatever, I am able to find some empathy, and I think that's an indication of some sort of gerneral love for all humankind.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME picture bro!!!!!!! I just made it my desktop background. LET'S GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home