Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Is this a...what day is this?

When in doubt, quote The Big Lebowski.

Jake and I have been doing everything we can to keep Rachel from doing anything. But sometimes we catch her in the act. I'll be working down in the bat cave and hear footsteps upstairs, for example. And if she's just going to the bathroom, that would be fine. But she shouldn't be moving the TV closer to the bed, or getting an ice pack out of the freezer.
So I moved our Hotel Yorba webcam to the bedroom.

Now she doesn't even have to pick up the phone to call me - it has a microphone built in. And if she gets up, I'll know about it. And Cody is taking his shift on guard duty. Moe takes over at three.

As for her condition, I think she is out of the woods as far as any real danger goes. Right now it is all about pain and pain management. I've learned to write down what she takes and when because it gets hard to keep it all straight.

Jake has become a smoothie making pro and should probably open a smoothie shop in town when he grows up. And fortunately for me, I have a couple of projects going at work to take my mind off the accident and related hassles and keep me busy.

Also, I wrote to VW of America asking why the side curtain airbags did not deploy. A nice man there gave me a good explanation about it - that the integrity of the "B pillar" was not compromised, so the deployment was not necessary and may have caused further injury and abrasions had it deployed. I am 96% satisfied with that answer. And he is sending me a $750 coupon towards the purchase of our next VW.


That cracks me up - a $750 coupon. I wonder if I should wait to use it until double coupon Tuesday or whatever.

In the mean time, the first payment on our totalled car is due on the 16th. That is a painful check to write.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You managed to make a very painful situation humorous. That's quite a skill.

Love the Yorba cam and Cody guarding. :)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

I want my...
I want my...
I want my PhredTV!
Weirdly enough, my youngest brother Darin was taking a cab home to Brooklyn last night and was completely hit by a woman running a stop sign...He hit the glass partition of the taxicab face first-poor kid had a huge gash on his forehead that didn't require stitches,but I'm sure hurts like the Dickens.
Makes me wanna not get in a car anytime soon...

9:24 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Sorry to hear about your Bro. I get the same feeling - and out where you live, I think you can get away without driving much. But here, I mean, it's 20 minutes to Wal-Mart up North and 15 minutes to town down South. I can take the golf cart for groceries and such to the local market. But the reality is, Rachel is going to have to drive the same road every day to work starting next Monday again. There's just no getting around it. And she's going to be freaked out every morning. Hopefully she will be a little less freaked out every time.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home