Saturday, October 20, 2007

On the ground, safe and sound...

Long day of travel. Southwest has an interesting definition of "Non-stop flight." As long as you stay on the plane, it's "Non-stop." So we landed in Houston to let some folks off and other folks on during my "non-stop" flight to Ft. Lauderdale.

Then a cab ride to Boca Raton, which I think is Spanish for "Rat's mouth." $80 cab ride.

I checked in, turned on the TV and called Rachel, who said, "Poopopo, are you so excited they hit a grand slam?" So I tuned in with the Sox up 4-1. I changed clothes and headed down to the bar with my Red Sox hat on.

So the last time I was at a Nuance conference, I knew more people than I didn't know. And CommTech was an event sponsor. And Cuz was there with me. I hobnobbed with the CEO and talked about the Sharks.

Since then, I joined Adapt, and Speechworks bought Nuance, took their name, and have pretty much killed the Nuance product. A lot of the talented folks I knew from California are now working for Google and a few other companies. So even though this is a "Nuance" conference, it doesn't feel like it.


Anyway, Speechworks is based outside of Boston, and I thought, here's a great way to break the ice and meet some new people. But so far, they are a "cliquey" group. Also, I met three people who all joined the company within the last couple of months. I haven't seen anyone yet from Menlo Park. So I had one cocktail, watched a couple of innings, and then headed up to my room to order some dinner.

I flew all day and ate only a Southwest snack pack and some peanuts. So I ordered a Cobb Salad, Pizza, and a milkshake. Guess how much that cost here at the Boca Raton Resort and Club. Seriously, take a guess. Don't forget the 18% gratuity and $4.00 delivery charge. I'll post the actual amount in a future post. And just like The Price Is Right, closest without going over wins.

I also got my football picks in, but I ran through it in a hurry and I am not very confident. There's always upsets, and I only picked two.

Apparently Longshore got picked off and Cal managed to lose to UCLA today. Inconceivable and I'm going to pretend it didn't happen.

Fortunately, I can stay up for a couple of hours and let my dinner digest. And I have to iron some shirts. Nothing till Noon tomorrow. And Noon is a meeting for "authorized partners only" that I am going to have to BS my way in to since CommTech's partner status is in question, Adapt isn't a partner, and nobody from Interactive Intelligence is here. They are all in Arizona at their partner conference, along with a crew from Adapt.


From 2:00-5:00, there's a class on "Nuance 9, " which is more like Speechworks 9, and I need to learn that. And there's some welcome dinner tomorrow night from 7:00-9:00. I predict attendance will be light as the Sox will be on in game 7.

That's it for now. I will do my best to get some pictures up, but I can't seem to find my funky USB cable and my Adapt laptop doesn't have an SD card slot. If I can spot a Target or something nearby, I may go out and buy one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted Seymour said...

$51.20, but I think if you hop on the stairmaster at the hotel, they spin the meter backwards!

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poo Poo, where's the Sunday post?
Tap, tap, tap.....

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oohh ooohhh an interactive post. Let's see - Cobb Salad - I'll guess $13. Pizza - assuming a mini-single serve pizza - $12. Milkshake - $6. $31 + tax + 18% = $39.50 + $4 shipping and handling - $43.50

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home