Tuesday, January 10, 2006

On The Scanner Tonight...

We bought a scanner after we moved in here. We bought it because of the Geysers Fire. We could see it coming towarsd us but we couldn't tell how close it was and it was a little scary. So we bought it to monitor CDF traffic. Last Summer, we could hear the pilot of a CDF plane that was buzzing our house on approach to a fire nearby. That was weird.

Anyway - you can also pick up local Sheriff and Police traffic. Oh, and our own security staff. Tonight we saw fireworks up the block, so I turned on the scanner to hear them out trying to catch whoever lit them off. Nothing on that yet, but the Sheriifs and/or Clearlake PD are dealing with several gas leaks. First there were three in the same area, then a fourth a six or seven miles away. It's not near hear, but up in Clearlake.

Some jerk is going around puncturing holes in people's Gas tanks. First, I would be scared to death of something like that. I freak out lighting my gas grill sometimes, afraid it might blow up. But to purposely puncture one of those giant gas tanks is incomprehensible to me. Second - And to puncture several? Don't the odds favor a spark or something the more you do? Finally, it's Winter. How are people supposed to stay warm with a leaky gas tank? What a crappy thing to do.

While I can't say I hope the guy hits another one and it blows, I do hope he gets hurt somehow and then gets caught.

And that gets me to thinking about the "War on Terror." Terrorists could do a lot more damage pulling "Fight Club" type antics like this jerk. A lot of little things everywhere at once. Actually, who's to say they aren't? I wonder if there are any noticeable spikes in ridiculous vandalism like this all over the country but we just don't hear about it because it's local stuff. Maybe this guy is a terrorist.

And a lot of people here make fun of our security team, but we are glad for them. And things like this jerk puncturing tanks makes me appreciate them even more. We brought them cookies at Christmas and my neighbor shmoozes them to encourage them to patrol our street. There's a lot of speeders and our kids ride their bikes and play out front.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home