Thursday, April 20, 2006

Ouch!!!

So Rachel had some oral surgery today. A tooth extraction. We knew going in that it was going to suck, but we had absolutely no idea how much it was going to suck.

They put her under with Nitrous and an IV drip. It was supposed to take all of ten minutes, but it took almost an hour and a half.

Here's what she looked like on the way home...



Rachel got really mad at me the last time I posted a picture of her sleeping. So this time I blurred out her face so you can't tell it's her. That's a piece of dental floss hanging out of her mouth that was supposed to remind her that there's gauze in her mouth. When she woke up three hours later and I pointed it out to her, she was kind of upset because she had no idea it was there.

Get this - the dentist called me at home this afternoon to see how she was doing. Has your dentist or doctor ever called you at home? He proceeded to tell me it was the toughest extraction he's ever done and that Rachel underwent massive trauma. He said it will feel like someone punched her very hard square in the face. He also said the tooth broke and so he had to remove lots of little shards of bone and nerve. One nerve went down three milimeters! I don't have any idea what that means, but by his tone, I understand that it was pretty serious. He said the third day is going to be the worst.

She's still a little sedated and she took two codeine tablets and her antibiotics and she sounds pretty good right now. Too good, in fact. She's on the phone with Michele. I'm going to have to go make her hang up before they get to laughing and she pops her stitches.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

dude! you post this bitmapped picture with a preceding quote "This is what she looked like after the surgery"
before warning us you'd intentionally blurred it! I thought
her face really looked like that! I was like "WHAT THE
F@#K DID THAT DENTIST DO TO HER"????!!!!!
whew!
but seriously, we've been thinking about poor Phred all
weekend and hope this is a soon memory for her....
Hang tight Rachel!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home