Thursday, June 29, 2006

"Still! It moves..."

...said Galileo after recanting. Can you un-recant? Re-recant? OK, so I'm officially a junkie. The telescope is a blast! We looked at the moon last night. And my Barlow lens came a couple of days ago, so we looked at Jupiter again. It is so cool to see the little stripes and bands. And it's cool to see the moons in different places every night. I'm slowly getting better. Last night I was able to use Scorpius to find Ptolemy's Cluster. And I know where Arcturus, Antares, Spica, and Vega are. So far, I've only been looking sort of South by Southwest because that's the view from my back yard. Some day I'll take it out front, or maybe up to the park. But for now, there's plenty to explore in my little corner of the sky.

Jupiter looks kind of like this...


Oh, and we took some old binoculars in the hot tub last weekend and officially started the Hotel Yorba Hot Tub Astronomy Club.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted Seymour said...

DId you know that Andromeda is the nearest galaxy to our galaxy, The Milky Way? Did you know that Andromeda has nearly 1 Trillion stars in it? It's a bit much to fathom really. And The Hotel Yorba Hot Tub Astronomy Club location is unique in the entire universe. From nowhere else is the sky exactly the same. Oh, and there are Billions of galaxies. How does one possibly comprehend the enormity of that?

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why, but whenever I see the title to this blog entry ("Still! It moves . . .") I immediately have Steve Perry singing in my head: "Still they ride.".

Oh yeah, I do know why. Escape was the only tape I had when my parents took me on a road trip from LA to Portland when I was 12 or 13. Every subtlety of that album is Burned deeply into my brain.

-Scott

2:54 AM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I've seen her in a smoky room. Smell the wine and cheap perfume.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home