Friday, September 29, 2006

MacGyver Coffee...


Guess what kind of coffee they server at work here in Washington.

What's a Peet's lover to do?

Well, first, I bought a pound of Peet's. I wanted Garuda Blend, but had to settle for Ground French Roast. I didn't pack my grinder.

I got back to my hotel to find that The Residence Inn no longer provides little packs of coffee and filters - they have these pre-measured coffee bags.
What to do?

What


To


Do...


Eureka! I carefully ripped open one of the decaf bags and dumped out the contents. I then filled the bag with Peet's. But how would I keep the grounds from spilling in to the drip bin and then in to my coffee? Perhaps there's a strainer? No strainer. Can't use a paper towel. Hmmmm...aha! I used the little travel stapler Rachel so thoughtfully placed in my little mini-office supply travel kit. And yesterday, I drank good coffee...MacGyver Coffee!



Incidentally, after all of this, a new Peet's store opened up right around the corner from the office. It had been under construction when I arrived. Today was free coffee day - order what you want. Most people seemed to be going for the expensive blender drinks or lattes. Not me. I just wanted a good cup of Joe. It always tastes better from the store. I don't know why. So since you have to pay for coffee at work anyway, from now on, I'll be stopping by the corner Peet's on my way in.


If I close my eyes, it smells like Berkeley to me.

I have this great story I'll tell you some day about my first cup of Peet's in the pre-dawn hours on my way to go do construction work for a guy who turned out to be homeless, lived in his station wagon, read great books, and paid me in cash from a large bankroll he kept hidden in his belt, and how I made maybe $150 in the week I worked for him, but ruined a $60 pair of hiking boots in the process.

Oh, I just told you the story. Nevermind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home