Sunday, September 24, 2006

What do I have in common with Mt. St. Helens?


We've both lost it up top. [rim shot]

So travelling for work can be a depressing bummerfest, but so far this one is going pretty well. Of course, I'd rather be at home, but I'm getting out, and seei
ng people, and that helps a lot. And if all goes well and we get some help from family, Rachel will get to come visit next weekend. On the advice of the IT Director I'm reporting to, I took the drive up to Mt. St. Helens yesterday. I can still remember what a big deal that was back in the day. And it's pretty amazing. The landscape is unlike anything I've ever seen before. And there's a little tie in to Rachel's work at the geo-thermal fields and all. I dug it. If I had it to do over, I would have eaten and left earlier. There were some nice trails to walk, but I was hungry and had to get back to meet Rachel's friend Betsy for dinner.






Dinner was grubbin'! The Tin Shed in Portlan is awesome. And then I went to my new 2nd favorite book store. Powell's Books. Moe's is, of course, my favorite bookstore. Cody's on Telegraph was second, but then it closed. And I have a good story I'll blog some time about playing golf with Andrew, Cody's owner. Anyway, this Powell's Books goes on for days. And they have a three door elevator that I got really excited about. We went in the rare book room and I held a 1st edition Kerouac. Visions of Gerard, and somebody wrote on the title page. But it was still pretty cool. And while I was there, a woman came in looking for a book that I actually own - Vincent Price's Cookbook. And I found a bunch of Mc Sweeney's going for $50 a pop.

See, Rachel, I told you we should buy two and not open one.


Anyway - I'm working at Nautilus...



Here's my cube...



And they have a fantastic gym...


I'm told it's 10,000 square feet.

And otuside, they have a football field, basketball courts, and a baseball diamond all open to the community. They have this funky astroturf, too, and some crazy engineering that will let the field stay 'dry' and playable under ridiculous amonuts of continuous rainfall... I had to not do anything for a few days after my subacromial cortisone shot, but I'm looking forward to getting down to the gym tomorrow with my iPod and geting a sweat on after work.

Today I went over to Cindy and Rick Steiber's house. Cindy was Cindy Grady in high school. And her Dad coached my little league team (the Chiefs) with my Dad. At the reunion last week, we were chatting and I asked where she was living. And she told me. And I said, "You won't believe where I'm going to be next week for work." So they had me over for dinner. It was a good time, and they fed me some great lasagna. Rick and I talked about all kinds of things. And it was great to get a peek in to the lives of people I grew up with 20 years later. It's a lot more real than a few hours at a reunion all dressed up.

And I forgot to take any pictures. But they have some really great style - topped off with what I think was the coolest thing - an antique wasshing machine converted in to a cooler. Oh, and they have a whole wall of family pictures and this great window treatment of hunting and fishing equipment from their family members. I know that sounds weird, but it works, and was really touching.

I'm going to bed early and am trying to work a semi-normal schedule this week. Wish me luck on that. And the gym.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home