Monday, August 28, 2006

OK, two pictures...

...both mental. I didn't need a camera. And I know these two posts will come out backwards - that's the bummer of blogging - it's a chronicle of life read backwards. Anyway...

Dinner at Sweet Lou's was really special, and I didn't want this to get lost in that last long post. We were running late for our reservation because I forgot the Al Franken tickets and we had to turn back. We still would have been OK, but then we got stuck by a lot of really slow and a few really bad drivers coming down the mountain. We called and told them we were running late and they said no problem, we'll keep your table, but you're going to have a hard time parking because of the accordian festival.

Well, I postulated to Rachel, "What if all of these things, forgeting the tickets, all the slow drivers, the near accident, what if all of that was settings things up so we luck in to someone pulling out of a parking space right in front just as we get there." Sure enough, we got there and traffic was a mess and the park was packed with accordian lovers and the crosswalks were packed and then, Bam, someone backed out right across the street from the restaurant right after I stopped to let someone cross the street. That was fun.

Anyway, she had our table for us, we sat down, and the long table we sat at at our wedding dinner was all set up but the party had not arrived yet. I cried a little picturing everyone who was there - Michelle down on the end, Mike and Ang, Travis and Julie, Laurie, Teresa, Lauren and all. And when I shut my eyes, I could half hear and half imagine everyone sitting around talking and laughing. That was really special for me and I miss all of you who were there. So that was mental picture one.

The meal was awesome. We started with salad - I love their mixed greens with walnuts, apples, and crumbled bleu cheese. They switched from a vinagrette to a creamy bleu dressing, and I'm not sure which I prefer now. Rachel had some other salad that was just OK. I had a New York with a side of fettucine alfredo and broccoli. Rachel had pesto cream canneloni. So that was the meal. It's great how when you eat right for a while, eating out becomes more special. And when we eat out around here, I'm usually disappointed because I know I could make something better at home. But not here. Also, the wine was a two year old pinot (I am drawing a blank on the name now, but it will come tome). It was good. But when you took a little sip of it with whatever you were eating - canneloni, steak, fettucine, whatever, it was a flavor explosion. Rachel said it looked like I had a mouth-gasm. And I did. She had a few, too.

Mental picture two is of how beautiful Rachel looked when she raised her glass of pinot (we were NOT drinking merlot!) and told me how much she loves me, why she loves me, and why she thinks we are so good together.

It was one of those John Hiatt stolen moments for me. You steal enough and it feels like we're stopping time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home