Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Lunch and The Pond and Creepy Crawlies...

So you might remember a post I had a while back about Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwiches. And I've mentioned a few times how Ted has gotten me to thinnk about eating healthier. And you might have also noticed my weight tracking and reunion countdown. Well, this was lunch today...



Yeah, that's a bowl of fruit salad, yogurt, raw almonds and raw pecans. Jake and I made fruit salad, and before I knew it, I had thrown some in a bowl and added the other ingredients and set it on the table. The look on Cody's face says, "Where's the bacon?" It's weird, it's like there's a healthy person inside of me taking over my actions - I swear, I made that lunch without thinking, it just sort of happened. That's good, right?

OK, so moving on, here's a daylight shot of the pond area. I still have to plant some plants, but I need Rachel's advice, so it will have to wait another day. She's taking Jake down to see the vampires at Kaiser for some blood work before his next Remicaid.

Also, Jake's been exercising too...


And his voice is changing. It's funny sometimes. Rachel and I are missing our little boy. It seems like only yesterday that it seemed like only yesterday that we realized we couldn't play the 1-2-3 swing game holding his hands any more. But we're proud of him, and enjoying watching him grow up. He had a few bumps towards the end of the school year and the beginning of the Summer, but he's really gotten his act together. I am confident it will carry over in to the new school year. And Rachel and I owe some thanks to our family and friends who gave us advice and also spent time with Jake and supported our parenting. So, you know, thanks.

So this afternoon, after work, Jake and I spent a little time on the pond. We turned over this big cement piece and found...

That's not a meerkat. And it's a bit early for Halloween. It's a big fat nasty looking black widow. Look closeley, you can see it's eyes. And it ran over and grabbed it's fat white egg sac and carried it around for a while trying to hide. I missed that shot while Jake was getting the camera. And the spider ditched the baggage and went looking for a place to hide. It's still out there somewhere, probably in the electrical box waiting for me to come unplug the pump to clean the pond so it can bite me for wrecking her comfy cement home by the water.

And you might be saying, "Yeah yeah, a big spider, but it's probably not a black widow, just a big black spider."

To that, I reply...



I know the picture's not that great, but that's the red hourglass there on the abdomen towards the top of the frame. So there!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the pet black widow I had in the Ashby house, and the black widow I painted on the door. Dude, don't kill it, please!!!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I didn't kill it. Jeez- you're such a bonobo!

I did smoosh the egg sac, though. And I have to be honest, when they start showing up in the house, I call the exterminator. They love the climate here and especially the aluminum siding. Then they venture in. If it was just one or two, I probably wouldn't, I'd just catch them and let them go outside far from the house. But when you get 5 or 10 that you can see, that means there's more you can't and we have pets and all. And Jake is really susceptible to spider bites. When we first moved here, he had wicked bites on his face and all over his body.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home