Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Weekend Without Pictures...

I didn't take a single photograph this weekend. And we did a lot.

Thursday was our 4th wedding anniversary. Rachel had to take Jake down to Petaluma to see the vampires at Kaiser - Jake needed to get his bloodwork done for Monday's Remicaid treatment. When they got back, we went to Gracias Taqueria for dinner and came home and exchanged gifts.

I got Rachel a Topaz flower necklace and topaz earrings, and a 2 CD set of The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny. That's Tiki Music. And for those of you less gay than me, flowers are the traditional 4th anniversary gift and topaz is the traditional stone. And coincidentally, it's also Rachel's birthstone. I also got us tickets to see Al Franken and dinner reservations at Sweet Lou's. Sweet Lou's is one of my favorite restaurants, it's in Cotati (a town not really know for cuisine or culture, or anything really outside of the accordian festival), and it's where we held our wedding dinner.

Rachel got me a nice plaid shirt and a sweater to match. She also got us dinner reservations at
Trader Vic's in San Francisco and a room at a nice hotel. She wins hands down on the presentation - it's hard to describe, but she put these cute pictures together and made like a little comic book.

Friday went by pretty quickly. A lot of little things at work made the day fly by. Then we had to take Jake down to Petaluma to see his Dad. And Rachel wanted to go to the mall in Santa Rosa on the way home. I hate the mall, but I love my wife, so we went. She needed shoes for the upcoming reunion. So we went to Macy's.

Now, I occasionally buy clothing on Amazon, but other than that, for the last two years, most of my clothes have come from Wal-Mart. And with the reunion coming, I thought I should invest a little in my wardrobe so I don't show up wearing Wrangler jeans and a Dickies button down. And there was a really big sale on. So I poked around the men's department to see what I should be wearing and compare it to what I had on. And I've needed a pair of brown dress shoes for a while as well. I found those, three shirts, a pair of jeans, and a pair of casual shoes that I think look ridiculous but Rachel swears are very hip. And they were very comfortable, so I got them.

On my receipt it said something like Total - $257, Savings $234. At one point, as I watched the register tick away my items, my savings exceeded my cost. So I did OK. And I'm happy with what I got. But when I add my savings to the total, I just can't fathom spending $500 on the items I purchased. But I guess some people do.

On Saturday, we got a mid-morning call from Paul and Lauren. They are fed up with their living situation - inconsiderate neighbors, barking dogs, and such. They had gone out to breakfast, and after they ate, they called us to se if they could come up and spend the weekend. And we were thrilled. It feels so good to have people want to come hang out when we live so far away. So they came - they left straight away from the restaurant. Showed up an hour later with two cases of beer. So we spent the afternoon hanging out, talking. Then Rachel and I went down to dinner and Al Franken. Got home around 11:00 and they were tired, so we all went to bed. Today we hung out, talked, laughed a lot, had Sloppy Joes for lunch (Paul's first tast of this American delicacy), took hot tubs, had a few beers, laid out in sun and took a nap in the shade. We put the shade up over the hot tub and hooked up a mini-mister system. It was an afternoon of heaven. They left around 4:00.

Pete brought Jake all the way home, so that was nice. I'm about sick of driving over the hill as I've had to do that a lot the last couple of weeks. I was beat and took anoher little nap. Rachel and Jake spent the evening hanging out.

All that, and no pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home