Sunday, January 28, 2007

Holding Pattern...

Hey there.

It's been a goofy week or so.

Last weekend was a hoot. We had another sort of Second Christmas at the Hotel Yorba. Paul and Lauren came up with a couple of Paul's friends from England. And Mike and Dolores came. And Jeff, too. I'll get some pictures up of all that some time this week.

And then Ted came up on Sunday. We had a great time hanging out and talking for hours on end. I think we took a two hour hot tub. Nothing like our Brokeback weekend from a year ago, but it was still great fun.

This weekend, Jake was sick and Rachel and I got in to making some space in the library/Rachel's office so Michael can stay there. I have a whole post brewing about all of the books in this house.

Anyway, the week before last, I was asked to interview for a contract job doing system design for the State of Indiana. The details are not 100% clear yet, but the work will involve creating a personality for the system, writing prompts, interviewing and coaching voice talent and such. It's a touch tone system, but it should still be an interesting project. It will make a bunch of money for Adapt. And it's a nice one for the resume. Well, my interviews went well, and they ended up picking me. How's that for a drastic life change in the blink of an eye?

The bummer part is it means 4-6 months in Indianapolis. Bi-weekly flybacks are helpful, but there's no getting around how much it's going to suck. And at the end of it, I just know I'm going to wake up one morning to realize that half the year is gone already. And I thought last year went by in a blink.

Anyway - that whole thing is part of why I haven't posted. I was waiting to find out how things were going to shake out. And I also generally don't like advertising when I'll be away. And we were freaking out a bit about what to do with Jake after school. We've gotten in to a great routine and he's been doing really well in school and everything. And wrestling and baseball will be starting soon. I ordered a wireless security camera so I could watch the house over the internet. And got another web cam so we can chat. If I'm gone for a week, Jake can go to Rachel's work after school, but not for months on end. So we were freaked out about that.

Then there's the dogs. Last time I went away for a week, they were freaks. They are used to having me home with them, and when they are alone all day and then I'm not there, they get weird. I've been working with them every day, throwing the ball, taking them for walks, and they've been getting better and better. But I'm the alpha dog, is what Rachel says, and when I'm not here, they go crazy. I was worried about that all going out the window and causing Rachel all kinds of stress.

Well, Rachel's Dad, Michael, stepped up and said he'd come stay with here Monday - Thursday. That is going to be a huge help to us. I can't even tell you how stressed out we were and what a relief it was when he offered to do that for us. Rachel cried and I almost did, but didn't because, you know, I'm a man, dammit..

OK, I cried a little.

So now we can relax a bit. It's still going to suck, of course, but at least I know someone will be here, Rachel will have help with the house, Jake will have some guidance, and the dogs will hopefully be OK, too.


And that's why we spent the weekend cleaning out the library/Rachel's office, formerly Lauren and Paul's Love Nest, and soon to be Grandpa's room.

I was supposed to be flying today and blogging from a Marriott, but there were a couple of contract glitches that need to be sorted out before I go. So I'm in this sort of strange holding pattern for a couple of days.

Oh, and Jake had to make a mousetrap boat as a follow on project to his mousetrap car from back in November...



So that is what's been going on here. What's up with you?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up with me? Trying to find a cube in Rancho Cordova. My wife and I are looking to move there to be closer to her mom, who lives in Grass Valley. It sucks when parents get old. It hasn't quite gotten to Congress yet, but my VP has had to send out 2 e-mails so far - once approving the request & the other actually requesting it. Yeah yeah... somebody doesn't want to give up an empty cube because they might need it later.

Steady work for 6 months sounds good. Indiana... I know nothing about Indiana other than it has a racetrack there.

I guess Rachel will need to step up as Alpha dog while you are away. I hope they respect her authority.

Well, I guess I have to get back to work now. I don't want them getting upset with me when I am asking for something.

-Joe

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home