Sunday, December 31, 2006

Saddam Hanging Video...

If you're in to that sort of thing, here's a link:

[Saddam Hanging Video]

And if you're not, don't click on the link.


I've been thinking about this since yesterday when I heard it was imminent. And I still don't have my thoughts all sorted out. Some of the analysis I've read says that we botched even this chapter in the Iraq mess. This is mostly from Juan Cole - he really knows this stuff.


I'm not saying he shouldn't have been executed. Well, I guess, honestly, on some level I don't think anyone should be executed. I remember when capital punishment was a no brainer for me. And now that it's not, I think it's something for people with no brain to favor. Or something like that.

Anyway - from what I've heard, the Bush fans are saying this is a step forward and another signpost on the road to victory. I think his death was a forgone conclusion from the moment they found him in that hole.

OK, so I finally have the whole Sunni/Shia thing sorted out. Saddam was a Sunni. The Sunnis are a minority in Iraq. But since Saddam was in power, they held a disporportionate amount of power in the Iraqi government and the Baath party. And the Shiites, who are a majority, suffered greatly under Saddam. The U.S. has historically, well, since the revolution in Iran, anyway, been anti-Shia. But now the U.S. is supporting the Shiites in Iraq. Even though we still don't like the Shiites in Iran.

OK, so we are talking about two sects of the same religion here. Sort of like Baptists and Catholics. Now, there was a major religious holiday this weekend. Something to do with commemoration of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son. The Shia celebrate the holiday on Sunday. The Sunni's on Saturday. It is illegal to carry out an execution on a religious holiday, so the Shia held the execution on Saturday. Sort of a slap in the face to the Sunnis. You know, their holiday isn't the real holiday.

And the trial? Well, let's see - we replaced the first judge who was not to our liking. Then three members of Saddam's defense team were murdered. Wouldn't that be grounds for a mistrial here? Or at least some sort of ling recess? Anywaym, the remaining members boycotted the trial to protest the lack of security afforded them. So they were summarily replaced with some rank amateurs. The prosecution introduced mostly hearsay evidence. And that's about all I remember off the top of my head.

Again, I'm not saying he wasn't guilty - I'm just saying the trial was a mess, like just about everything else.

OK, I also remember hearing several months ago that the outcome of this trial wouldn't matter too much because there were other trials and he would be kept alive for those. What happened to that plan?

I also really wanted to hear what sort of dirt he would have brought up about our government's former dealings with him and his country. Not that they were relevant to his trial; but it would be nice to hear, for example, what he and Rummy discussed the day that famous picture of them was taken.


And perhaps some of the details about attempts at diplomacy before this War and the first one. And about where he got the weapons of mass destruction he used on his own people (the U.S.). Somehow I get the feeling that that's one of those facts that most people think is a punchline.

Whatever. I'm not thinking about it anymore - it's just another one of those things that, if I had my choice, it wouldn't have been allowed to happen. Like the new Safeway going up in town that's going to bankrupt our local market. Everyone else is stoked that they won't have to drive to Clearlake anymore. I just think about how HArdester's has always supported the community - Little League, the fireworks show, Middletown days. And how when we had a bad water alarm they gave free bottled water to all of us.

Wow, did I ever get sidetracked. Anyway, the thing that's bugging me now is not the fact that Saddam hung, but my own morbid curiosity that made me watch the video.

I'm curious - how many of you reading this will click on the link and how many would rather not see it?

6 Comments:

Blogger Ted Seymour said...

I wasn't interested in clicking on the link to watch the video. I can't even play video games where the object is to kill other people. Ghouls I can handle. And Bass Fishing.

When I read about Saddam's execution, my primary emotion was sadness. I felt sorry for him. I know there was much more to the man than we were presented with, I'm sure he did bad things, but I wonder what his heart yearned for and how his heart must have broke when he learned of his son's deaths, etc. We love to paint him as a monster, and I confess I don't know whether he was or not (and I apologize to the families of those ruined by his actions and insensitivity), but the bottom line for me is that when I read of his death, I felt sad for him, and sad for our country, which feels proud and righteous when we take another life however unseemly it may have been.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Thanks, Ted. I didn't quite feel sadness for him. I don't know why, I think I should. But I do agree with you and feel sad that people in our country feel proud about killing him. Also a little angry about that one.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think killing him is sad. I don't think killing him is right. I don't think we should have invaded Iraq. I don't think killing him is bad. I don't think killing him is right.

-Scott McAfee

1:23 AM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Way to take a stand, Scott. Made me realize how wishy-washy I'm being.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. By the way, I also think it was worth hanging the bastard for spawning and protecting Uday. Aw shit. I meant to say: capital punishment is bad.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I opted not to click on teh link. There is a certain amount of curiosity, but not enough to watch a man die.

I used to be completely against the death penalty & for the most part still am. Now, I just have a better understanding that there are people that will be a constant threat to society. Those are the ones I can understand the desire for execution.

My main reason for being against the death penalty is that the system is not 100% reliable. It has been shown that there are more mistakes made in trials for hideous crimes where emotions run high. It seems like it is more important to put someone away than to make sure the right person is put away. If they have been imprisoned, you can release them if a mistake was made. You can't give them back their time, but with an execution - it's over. If you made a mistake - gee - we killed an innocent person - I guess we can send an apology letter to the family. I don't think so.

Well, I know it will be hard for them to compete with Safeway, but I hope that you do as much of your shopping as possible at the local store. The store I like to support in the Seattle area is Central Market. Not the cheapest or closest place, but a great selection.

-Joe

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home