Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I was 1 of 77,000 or so...

...last weekend at Big Game. So this is a Blue and Gold post.


I forgot my camera, but remembered my phone can take pictures. Not bad.

Cal won, but not by enough, and the BCS stuff waspretty much over and done with anyway. And it was my very first Big Game despite growing up in the Bay Area, 5 years of college there, and still living in the Bay Area.

But it was more than a game. I went with Tony and Eva and Dre and stayed with Tony's Mom and step Dad. We went out to dinner at a great Chinese restaurant in Benecia. Yes, Benecia. 7 courses, lots of talk, huge koi in tanks, and plum wine at the end of it all. I slept on the couch and they woke me up at like 6:30 or some ridiculous pre dawn time.

We met some of Bob's friends and went to our reserved parking spot a half mile or so away from the stadium. We got unloaded and set up and we grilled ribs and teryaki chicken skewers. Drank a few pops (Tony's word for 'beers'). Rachel and I made her Asian potato salad and chinese chicken salad the night before. That went over well.

Then we walked up to the game. And watched it. It was fun, but REALLY crowded. I somehow felt old and young at the same time. I met some people who looked about my age, but they graduated in '98. And others who looked my age but got out in '87. I could identify with a drunken youth talking loud and being obnoxious. Although he looked like a frat boy and I didn't go that route. I hope he gets his s%*t together and graduates.

So anyway, it was fun. Oh, but I sustained an injury. Memorial stadium can be treacherous. All that cement and all. I misstepped upon returning from buying a sweathirt for Rachel (she looks so adorable in it) and banged up my shin pretty good.



It still hurts a bit.

Other than that, here's a couple of things I've cooked recently:

I'm proud of this one - I call it, "pasta ala whatever I've got lying around." Lima beans and peas in sort of a tomato cream sauce.


And the other night I made this battered Japanese dish - pork cutlets with Tonkatsu sauce. I did up some tofu slices for Rachel. I also made a little cabbage salad kind of like a kale salad Ted made for us once. It was pretty good. Rachel loved the way the tofu came out.


Yes, it was fried, but I think that's OK once in a while.

That's it for now. Lots of craziness coming up that I'll fill you in on later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dexter...

I thought that was you!
Glad you had fun. Maybe shin guards next game?
Love you...

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home