Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sunday was moving day...

...for Lauren and Paul. Jake and I went down and pitched in. What a bunch we are. Paul's got three bulging disks, one of which is pressing a nerve in to his spine and hasn't felt his left for for a couple of weeks now. Rachel's recovering from her accident (and stayed home). Jake has his UC. I've got my shoulder that has been much better lately, but that I managed to whack out whack again carrying a futon frame. It wasn't even that heavy, just awkward. Anyway, Dolores has permanent disability with her back. And Michael's got his pacemaker to worry about when the landlord is arc welding. John McNaught and Lauren were the only healthy ones in the bunch. But, as usual, we pulled together and got it done.

Their old place was funky, and largely built off of this travel trailer that served as the kitchen.


Paul couldn't even really stand up all the way in there. But it would have been cozy for Hobbits. And their landlords were royal pains in the arse. Which is the main reason for their move. They also happened to run in to the previous tenants and learned that was the reason they moved as well. I will miss Cowzilla, but that's about it. I have some great memories of barbecues, a walk to the top of the hill, Lloyd's visit, and a wonderful dinner before a roaring fire.

The new place is also funky. But funky in all sorts of good ways. It's hard to describe. It looks like a duplex, but it's not. the first door opens to their bedroom, and the second is the front door. And they have an office slash guest room. They won't slash their guests, don't be silly. And it has a "baby room." We've been thinking about that possibility, too. But between Rachel's back and Paul's back, I'm not sure, but I'll probably be an uncle before I'm a father again.


It also has a "proper kitchen" so Paul will enjoy cooking again.

And they have a garage right across from their unit.


And if you walk through the a door in the back of the garage, they have a huge patio that the landlord (Delmar, nice guy) is screening in. And there's dirt and room for a garden and no goats to eat Lauren's pretty flowers and vegetables.

I think once they settle in, they will be a lot happier here. And we all hope they will be so happy that they won't move to Idaho or Montana or Wyoming or wherever. And it's about 15 minutes closer to our house. And 15 minutes closer to work and school for them.

Oh, and on the drive down, I played Ozzy's Blizzard Of Oz for Jake for the first time. He loved it. So I'm giving him the CD as soon as I get it on my iPod.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home