Monday, March 03, 2008

Tin Foil Kangol...


It's been a long time since I hit you with one of these. I broke out my tin foil Kangol for this post.

It seems to me that the mainstream media are now rootin' for Hillary. The Saturday Night Live sketches are one thing, and since she's a New York Senator, I can let those slide. But this is from Reuters:


By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent
1 hour, 19 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Hillary Clinton, the prohibitive favorite in the Democratic presidential race just months ago, faces the possible end of her White House road on Tuesday in Ohio and Texas.

The New York senator battled on Monday to save her campaign with victories in the two showdowns, which would halt rival Barack Obama's streak of 11 consecutive wins in their hard-fought duel to be the Democratic nominee in November's presidential election.

Voting ends in Ohio at 7:30 p.m. EST (0030 GMT on Wednesday) and all voting in Texas will be over by 9 p.m. EST (0200 GMT on Wednesday).

First, I know what "prohibitive" means. And I know what "favorite" means. But can anyone tell me the meaning of those two words together? I Googled it and got "so likely to win as to discourage competition." Two months ago? Kucinich and Edwards were still in the race. And she has never held this sort of lead anywhere outside of New York and New Jersey.

Also, from that text alone, can you tell me when the contests are being held? She "battled Monday," she faces "the possible end of her White House road on Tuesday," and the voting ends at "0030 GMT on Wednesday."

I would like to just write this off as, well, poor writing - but I think it's a little more sinister than that. I think the article is trying to foster confusion. It is deliberate obfuscation. Most people don't even know what the 'G' in GMT stands for. But everybody understands Wednesday. It's hump day, and only two days until TGIF.

It's as if they are trying to set her up for a replay of Bill as the "Comeback Kid." And sure enough, later in the article...

Like her husband, who nicknamed himself "The Comeback Kid" for his improbable rise to the White House in 1992, Hillary Clinton has dodged predictions of doom before. In January, Obama appeared ready to deal her a knockout blow in New Hampshire after his big win in Iowa, but she defied polls and swept to victory.

A few weeks later, her landslide loss in South Carolina and a string of high-profile endorsements gave Obama momentum heading into Super Tuesday contests around the country, but she battled him to a draw and won most of the biggest prizes of the night in California, New York and New Jersey.

I think it's a last ditch effort - and I think it will fail. The Clintons learned how to win in politics by playing like Republicans. They lie, obfuscate, accuse, insinuate, cheat, and project their own crimes on their opponents. Most important they say whatever they think will get them elected while remaining passionately committed to serving the interests of wealthiest of the wealthy. And they've gotten very good at playing Republican politics. Too bad for them, I think, or rather, I hope, the country has moved on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it is Republican politics - I think it is just modern politics. Smear campaigns have historically been effective, so I think both parties will continue to use them until the masses decide to do their own research and ignore the rhetoric.

Excuse me, I think I need to go find my happy place now.

-Joe

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home