Monday, February 18, 2008

Weekend Pics...

Somehow Rachel avoided being in any pictures. And it's a shame, because she looked really cute on Saturday. I mean, she always looks cute to me, but she looked, you know, especially cute on Saturday. And all of the pictures of Lauren were too dark. I assure you, they were there, though.




And since today is a holiday (but not for me) we let Jake have a couple of friends stay over. Another sign of Jake getting older - his room is not big enough for two of his friends to sleep in sleeping bags in his room anymore. All of them are getting bigger. So we had to blow up two air mattresses in the living room. They had pizza and soda and cake and brownies that Rachel made. They have been playing music or video games pretty much non-stop. I am in the office with ambient music and as many closed doors as I can manage between me and them.

And I also started a massive cleanup and reorganization of my office. You know, new computer, new beginnings, clean slate and all that.

Here's the before...


I'll get an "after" picture up when I finish. I know I'm a total pack rat, but I am finally letting go of things like:

-That hard drive I thought I might fix someday.
-That keyboard I thought I might fix someday
-Software CDs like Windows '95
-Old marketing materials
-Hats I will never wear
-Key chains, mouse pads, water bottles, plush dolls, tote bags, light up marachas, CDs, marketing slicks, and dozens of other little trinkets from the various tradeshows I've attended over the years.

It feels good to let go of all of this crap. I know clutter brings me down.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clutter is comforting. I like stuff. I do have issues surrounding deciding on when things are no longer important. One reason is that my memories are much better when triggered by something. So, souvenirs from travels and photos bring back the actual memories. WIthout those, the memories tend to fade. But I also keep lots of software - I don't think I have any win95 discs any more, but I know I have some NT4 discs here somewhere. I should purge, too. No before pics for me - I don't want any evidence.

-Joe

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting rid of clutter is one of my favorite things to do. Funny though, I am kind of bad at it. I have a similar issue with being worried about forgetting memories without the thing to remind me of it. I recently dropped off 5 garbage bags of stuff that had been sitting in my basement at the Goodwill, and practically skipped back to the car, singing. I like how it makes you feel so light, like you lost weight....

6:38 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

We've had this plan for a long time to have a garage sale on Saturday and then take whatever was left to Goodwill. Only we haven't gotten around to the garage sale. So there's this massive bottleneck in the garage. It is so tempting to just call someone to haul it all to Goodwill to get our garage back. On the other hand, every little bit of money helps.

And part of me thinks a garage sale would be really fun - put on some tunes, sit outside, meet some neighbors and all.

I am making progress in the office - nearly done, actually, but I am not happy with the idea I had to put my new computer up on the shelf. It sticks out and looks stupid.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home