Sunday, February 17, 2008

Weird Day...

We were supposed to be at Lauren and Paul's around Noon. But their power went out. So then we were supposed to be there at three, when it was due to be restored. But then they got a call saying it would be off until 10:00 PM. And we found out that bit of news after we were already over the hill. So while we waited for the plan to come together, we went to the local CompUSA store - and I finally picked up a new computer to replace my 7 year old workhorse. Quad Processor with 3 Gig of RAM. It screams. I'm glad I waited - CompUSA is going out of business and there are some really fantastic deals. I paid half as much as I paid 7 years ago for a machine for times faster with 3 times the memory.

Of course, this won't help me blog any faster. (Actually, uploading pictures seemed to be a lot quicker.) But it will let me compile massive speech recognition grammars in a fraction of the time it used to. Plus, everything loads and runs faster, so multitasking will be much easier. And I will be able to use Dragon Naturally Speaking 9. Which will be fantastic for reducing the amount of keystrokes I have to make. And tonight I figured out how to plug in my DirectTV box to the back of the PC so I can watch TV while I work. Or while I blog.

Over the next few days, I'm going to have to spend countless hours transferring files from my old computer and installing all of the software I use. But it will be worth it.

In the end, we ended up going to Mike and Dolores'. We had a cake for Jake and just hung out. I'll see about getting some pictures up tomorrow, but now I need to sleep.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new box. The last computer we purchased was a Black Friday laptop. We got a $900 machine for $600. It wasn't their best deal of the day, but then I didn't wait in line before they opened either. I checked Best Buy on Thursday evening (Thanksgiving) and the line was already to teh back of the building. I am not camping for a sale. I don't care how good the price is.

Our next computer purchase - either this year or next, will probably be a MacPro for Michelle. Her 3 1/2 year old eMachines box is showing it's age & I am just sick of the buggy I am going through with Vista on my computer. The MacPro is actually a dual quad-core processor machine that can handle up to 32GB of RAM. Windows Vista tops out at 4GB & you have to set some startup flags to get Vista to use even 3GB for your applications - I think default is 2GB max for apps and the rest for Vista. Michelle will be using it for graphics programs (Painter, Photoshop, etc), so I think the processing and memory will definitely come in handy. The down side - not cheap.

I hope everybody is doing well.

-Joe

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home