Tuesday, June 19, 2007

And then...

...down down down.

Only a whole lot faster.

Sunday night, I went out and fed the fish. And I heard sort of a little splash...splash...sploosh... and then a low rumbling whooooosh that got louder and louder and I looked around in the dark wondering what it could be and then realized...Holy crap! That's the pool draining.


And I sort of froze. The power of that much water was more than I could anything about. And I thought, "I wonder why that happened. Did we not tamp the ground enough? Was it too low on the back end?" And I checked and saw that the water was running off in to the culvert. And I went to bed.


I went out Monday morning to survey the damage. And there wasn't much. The down side of the pool was still firm. There was definitely some earth missing, and a Malibu light as well. But the ground was still firm and intact, and flat as far as I could tell. I'll know for sure when I find the time to move the pool carcass on to the grass and recheck everything.

Here's what I think happened- It was 95 or so degrees when we filled the flotation ring with air. By 10:00 that night, the air had cooled considerably, and of course, Boyle's law tells us what happens to pressure when temperature decreases. Thanks, Mr. Treu, you were right, someday that would be important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home