Tuesday, March 18, 2008

He Wrote It Himself, I'm told.

I'm taking a break from slaying Defias Bandits in Elwynn Forest.
Last night, I read a news blast saying Barack would be speaking about his pastor today. I went to sleep wondering how he was going to tackle this one.


I have to admit, I was cynical. I thought there was no way he could address this issue head on without falling in to typical campaign speech.
Today I got an e-mail blast from David Plouffe, and I was reluctant to click on the link. But I did. And I listened to the speech in the background as I worked. And I think it was amazing. And it had to be that long. I think it was the most important, inspiring, and unifying speech on race matters in America in the last, well as long as I can remember.

But what I think doesn't much matter. The speech was very long, and I don't think any but the most devoted followers will listen to it in its entirety. What does matter is what the media will choose to pull from the speech and how they will present it to their audience.

So I did a quick sampling of Internet headlines. And I present to you a challenge: Match the Headline to the Source...


Headline

1.) Criticizing Pastor, Obama Assesses Race in U.S.

2.) Obama Tackles Race

3.) Obama: Move Beyone Race

4.) Obama Won't 'Disown' Pastor

5.) Obama denounces preacher, urges race healing

6.) Is The Issue of Race Becoming A Liability for Obama?


Source

a.) CNN

b.) New York Times

c.) Fox News

d.) Yahoo News/AP

e.) Reuters

f.) MSNBC

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, it does make a sound. But if the mainstream media is there to cover the tree falling, what sound does it make? Who's account will take hold?


I think it is important that we do what we can to make sure that the speech is heard as accurately as possible by as many people as possible. I highly recommend that we take the steps outlined in this diary by paddy henry.


This speech was prompted by a nasty campaign, but it was much more than a campaign speech. It should be heard by as many people as possible, regardless of candidate or party affiliation.


(answers: 1b, 2f, 3a, 4c, 5e,6d)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The headlines you gave was a great example of how the media can report facts & while not being objective.

btw - I really think it is almost impossible to be completely objective about anything. The choice of words, body language and omission of certain information will all impact how the recipient of information will interpret it.

Of course, then there is the whole question of "Did he know what you meant when he heard what you said?"

-Joe

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home