Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Catching Up Is Hard To Do...

So there was Father's Day a bit over a week ago. I got some nifty gifts and grilled cheese and a milkshake for dinner. I got the McSweeney's Joke Book of Boke Jokes, that is printed upside down and backwards for starters. And a great cheese grater. Perhaps the greatest cheese grater - it has a bowl that attaches to the bottom. No mess.


Well, less mess.


And I got Onion Goggles that keep you from crying when you chop onions.





I was skeptical, but they really work.









Last weekend was Middletown Days. That's a parade down the main drag followed by two days of rodeo events at the Fairgrounds. We went with Frank and Marla and met a few friends there.





Here's the rodeo chicks...






It was really hot out.

The coolest thing to me was how many people I said "hi" to and talked with. I'm starting to feel like I'm part of the community more and more.

Anyway, I can't believe this isn't child abuse. I'm not sure how well these videos will come out online, but it's worth a shot for the comedy value.

The first event had a couple of dozen kids chasing steers around trying to yank a ribbon off of the tails.



Did I mention how hot it was?

Then came the real child abuse - 4-7 year olds kids "bronc riding" sheep. So I guess it was also animal abuse.

These are taking a long time to upload, so I'm stopping. But you get the idea. Every single run was a definite contender for America's Funniest Videos. I half expected to see Bob Saget come out with cash. And I'm told this happens all over this great land of ours.

I bet you in some states the kids don't wear helmets.

When we couldn't stand the heat anymore, we went for pizza. The next time you visit, if we don't feel like cooking and we don't take you to Ting's, make us take you to the brewery for Tostada Pizza. It's flippin' sweet.

Last Friday, the good folks at TDECU took our design to their CEO for approval. Overall, he was very happy with our design. And, of course, he had some changes. So I'm scrambling again.

On Saturday night, I saw lighting in the distance out West. The first time I saw it, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. But after a dozen or so, I was sure. And I woke up to the smell of smoke. And on Sunday, it got worse and I turned on the scanner to hear some pretty urgent dispatches to save horses, homes, and people up at the Walker Ridge fire. Our is but one of 800 or so fires raging across the state right now.

And the valley is filled with smoke. And I woke up today with a sore throat and itchy eyes. And it is really hot, and just miserable out. I went on the deck tonight and could only see a dozen or so stars and Jupiter - but no constellations.

It's creepy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home