Sunday, January 22, 2006

Cooking Or Just Heating Things Up (continued)...

Last month, I wrote about the difference between cooking and heating things up. This weekend, we had Second Christmas and I made Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread for Jeff. The recipe calls for 15 ounces of punpkin filling. I had a 29 ounce can of filling. So when I was done with the bread, I had 14 ounces of pumpkin filling left over. I didn't want to throw it away. I remembered I had a graham cracker pie crust in the pantry and decided to try making pumpkin pie. I decided that that would be cooking bordering on heating things up. Actually, that would really be baking, wouldn't it? Anyway, everything was from scratch, except the crust, and if I had the time, I would have made that too. I even had graham crackers.

I got the ingredients together for the pie and found that the can of evaporated milk in my pantry was way past the expiration date. So I went to the store for a fresh can. Check it out the can I got...


It's hard to read in the picture. The little sticker says that evaporated milk is, "Your Secret Ingredient to Rich and Creamy Boxed Potatoes," and inside is a "recipe" to make these delicious boxed potatoes. I laughed out loud in the store.

Are there really people out there who like boxed potatoes but wish there was some way to make them even better?

Anyway - new rule - adding one package to another is NOT cooking.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'm not that concerned about expiration dates. I wouldn't have hardly considered driving to the store for a newer can of condensed milk, even if I was having company over expressly for "boxed potatoes al Fresco." Open it, sniff it, then eat it. Simple as that. Left the leftovers out overnight? Don't dump em, just wrap em and put in the the microwave for a few quasars longer. I figure, there's no way that everything is good up until the expiration date and then bad. Further, I think Carnation must err far to the side of caution so it's probably safe to add at least another year to the expiration date. Just me, but then again, I'm a cheapskate and a lazy one at that and hate to drive to the store for one ingredient. I'd rather improvise, and improvising IS cooking!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I'm with you on the date thing, for the most part. But I think we moved the can with us. And it was like 13 months past the date. I opened it and it was a little brownish and Rachel's Mom said it smelled a little off, So I took the short drive down to the store.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home