Friday, January 13, 2006

Got any bands a dream?


I first met Dean not long after my wife and I split up. I just got over a serious illness that I won't bother to talk about, except that it had something to do with the miserably weary split up in my feeling that everything was dead. But the coming of Dean Moriarty began the part of my life you could call my life on the road. Before that, and often dreamed of going west to see the country. Always vaguely planning and never taking off. Dean is a perfect act of the road because he actually was born on the road, when his parents were passing through Salt Lake City in 1926, in a July, other way Los Angeles. First reports of him came to me three Chad King, who'd shown me a few letters from him written in a New Mexico reform school poster menace interested in the letters because they so naïvely and sweetly asked Chad to teach him all about Nietzsche and all the wonderful intellectual things the Chad new. At one point Carlo and I talked about the letters and wondered if we would ever get to meet the strange Dean Moriarity. This is all far back when Dean was not the way he is today when he was a young jail kid shrouded in mystery and news came that Dean was not a reform school and was coming to New York for the first time; also, there was talk that you just married a girl called Mary Lou.

Tonight for some reason, I got to thinking about how Kerouac used to write. You may have seen the original scroll for On the Road was sold at auction and bought for $2.43 million by James Irsay, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts. To his credit, he sent the scroll on a museum tour were a lot of people were able to see it. Anyway I got to thinking, what if Kerouac had this headset Dragon speech rec technology at his disposal. So, I went ahead and read the first paragraph On The Road. The above is what came out. There's a few mistakes. Compare it to the original here:



I often say someday I'm going to write my novel. Maybe if I just dictate it, I'll finally get around to it.

Oh and by the way, the title of this post was supposed to be, "Got Any Benzedrine?" But it came out, "Got any bands a dream?" I think the recognizer would have a hard time understanding me if I was on Benzedrine.

I'm going to try reading the next paragraph while pretending I am on Benzedrine...

The one singer on the campus and Chad and Tim great only Dimas Dana Coldwater pad in East Harlem, the Spanish Harlem. Dean had read the net before the first time in New York with his beautiful sharp chick Mary Lou; they got the Greyhound bus at 50th St and cut around the corner looking for place the one right in actors, and since Hector's cafeterias always been a big symbol of New York for Dean. They spent money and give a big glaze cakes and cream puffs.

All this time Dimas Trilling, Mary Lou things like this. Now, darling, here we are in New York and although I haven't quite told you everything that I was thinking about one across Missouri, and especially at the point would pass the boom Dorff oratory, which by me in my jail problem it as absolutely necessary now to postpone all those leftover things concerning our personal love things and it was begin thinking of specific worklife plans... and so on in the way that he had in those early days.

That was supposed to read:

One day I was hanging around the campus and Chad and Tim Gray told me Dean was staying in a cold-water pad in East Harlem, the Spanish Harlem. Dean had arrived the night before, the first time in New York, with his beautiful little sharp chick Mary Lou; they got off the Greyhound bus at 50th St and cut around the corner looking for a place to eat and went right in Hector's, and since then Hector's cafeteria has always been a big symbol of New York for Dean. They spent money on beautiful big glaze cakes and cream puffs.

All this time, Dean was telling Mary Lou, things like this: "Now, darling, here we are in New York and although I haven't quite told you everything that I was thinking about when we crossed Missouri, and especially at the point when we passed the Boonville reformatory, which reminded me of my jail problem, it is absolutely necessary now to postpone all those leftover things concerning our personal love things and it once begin thinking of specific worklife plans..." and so on in the way that he had in those early days.

Maybe if I created a new user, took some benzedrine, and then trained the system while actually on benzedrine, it might take my dictation a little better. I'm curious to see how it will do some day when I have a few beers in me. Maybe it has built in slur detection. But I doubt it. It's going to be hard to write a novel in my own voice if I have to slow down and enunciate each word. If you know me, you know that I speak very quickly and mumble a bit, especially when I'm nervous or around pretty girls. It's a wonder Rachel understands me at all.

That last bit was for Ryan, because I haven't said anything nice about Rachel in a while.

Oh, by the way, I've been on these prescription medications since Tuesday, and in my opinion, a stiff rum drink and a few Advil's works better. I went to physical therapy today, and the woman who treated me turned out to be the same woman who worked the voter registration booth with me before the last election. Small world, isn't it? Oh, and she is also pretty sure that I don't have arthritis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home