Sunday, January 22, 2006

Grimace Steaks Recipe...

Just tried a new recipe this weekend. It was delicious! Not many stores carry Grimace meat, but most can order it for you.It took the butcher down at Hardester's a week to get some, but it is worth the wait. You'll want to trim each steak making sure you leave about a quarter of an inch of fat on each steak for flavor. You can use the recipe below for guidelines and embellish a bit. I doubled it and rubbed each steak with garlic. Grimace meat tastes kind of like a cross between pork and beef, so you can season it with whatever you would use on either (but not both) of those meats. I can't wait for Summer when I start grilling again. I think a cajun rub will be awesome.



INGREDIENTS:
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground or cracked black pepper (Be sure to rub it in to the fat)
4 (6-8 ounce) grimace steaks (1 1/2 inches thick)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup minced shallots
1/2 cup cognac
1/2 cup grimace broth (substitute beef broth)
1/4 cup green peppercorn or Dijon mustard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Trim fat to 1/4 inch. Sprinkle salt and pepper over steaks. Heat oil in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add steaks; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness (I cooked them about 10 minutes per side - I like my meat well done, and it's difficult to tell when grimaces are done since the juices don't run clear like chicken and the meat stays purple). Remove steaks from skillet; keep warm. Add shallots to skillet; saute 30 seconds. Add cognac; cook 10 seconds. Add broth and mustard; stir well. Reduce heat; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Serve steaks with sauce.

I served them over garlic mashed potatoes and a side of stir fried string beans. I opened a bottle of Copolla Diamond Series Pinot Noir for the wine. It was good, but that's one of my favorite wines, so it's always good. I know the general rule is white with fish or chicken, red with steak or Itallian. But what the heck are you supposed to serve with grimace? Maybe a blend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home