Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Greetings from the happiest place on Earth...

Note: I'm under doctor's orders - no typing this week. And I'm also shunning politics and anything heavy this week. I am not even going to write anything about any quail hunting accidents I couldn't help but hear about.

So we're here. We've had a few mishaps, but this is the best trip I've ever had to Disneyland.

We came down with our neighbors. Tony got the idea of staying at a hotel near the airport the night before. It was a great idea. We drove an hour, ate some dinner, drove another half hour and checked in. Had a few pops by the pool and turned iin early. Then it was just a couple of freeway exits to the airport. Go there in plenty of time.

Flying is definitely the way to go. I enoy the family time and the drive, but now that I've flown, I'd much rather have more family time at the destination.

We had a little luggage screw up. Yeah, Rachel used my suitcase that has just never been the same since TSA forced it closed with my laptop power cord hanging out about a year or so ago. And sure enough, it popped open sendng her unmetionables and mentionables all over the place. In my rush to get it packed up and closed again, and with everyone filing off of the shuttle, we left my duffel bag on the bus. So if I'm wearing the same shorts in all of the pictures, that's the reason for it. I made a Target run for a swimsuit, undies and T-shirts. (Remind me to tell you abot the differece - well, one difference anyway - between Target and Wal-Mart.) Perhaps the biggest tragedy is that the Trav-L-Bar is in the duffel bag. I called the airport, and so far it hasn't been turned in, but I remain hopeful.

Yesterday we swam and had a few more pops by the pool. The hot tub here has one jet that is perfect for my shoulder.


Today we got up and out and took a shuttle over to the park. We got there as the park was opening. It's neat to notice the little differences between now and the last time we were here. It's the 50th anniversary celebration, and there are signs everywhere. It's also Tinkerbell overload. She is everywhere. Haven't seen her tattooed on anyone's midriff yet, but I am nearly certain I will before the week is up.

We started off with a few autographs at the entrance. Then worked our way up Main Street.


This always makes me cry a little...



I'm just a sucker for it. It's this great mix of art and the real world and fantasy, and a little history, no, not history, but nostalgia, I guess. They've been standing there through so much of our nation's history, and when you stand here before them, none of that history matters - it really eases you out of the real world and in to the park. It's beautiful here. There is nothing to worry about and so much to see. It makes me feel like a kid again.

That is until I see some little kid run up and hug the Mickey character and I realize I will never remember what that feels like.

Then we hit Adventure Land - Jungle Boat and Indiana Jones, and the kids and womin folk did the tree house. Then Mint Juleps in New Orleans Square (I remember Chris Nagle telling me about those when I was 14 or 15 and I always get one when I'm here). Then - Arrrghh! - Pirates. Then it gets a bit fuzzy because of the Pirate buzz and we were getting a little hungry and a little grumpy.

I improvised my physical therapy exercises in line. That was a good use of time, but I looked pretty silly.

We ate Mexican Food in the park. It was pretty good. And we did the shooting gallery - lucky Tony had some quarters as all of the machines were empty. There was a fantastic fiddle player there as well. He was a lot of fun and got all of the kids (except ours who are just a little too old and therefore a little too cool for it) doing the chicken dance and the hokey pokey.

Let's see, what else? Oh, I took this picture again. And I got a bunch of kids to help make it run sideways. then I stepped out and watched all of these little kids running around getting dizzy.

And we did Star Tours. The kids went on Splash Mountain (no flashing). And we did Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Oh - this is neat. There was a park employee who taught me something new. When you go up over the peak, you see a mountain goat chewing on some dynamite. Try staring at it for as lonng as you can as you go over the top and down the slope. It really intensifies the turn and makes your right lung descend in to your left front pocket.

I think it was about then that we went back to the hotel for a swim and a few pops. Pops by the pool might be the strongest theme of this trip. It's great to just sit around the table with friends talking.

Oh, and I don't think there is anyone left in Vancouver, B.C. except for our pal Keith McDonald at KRP Communications. The rest are all here, it seems. I'm not sure what that's aboot, eh?

Anyway - then we went back to the park. We hit the California Adventure right before closing and caught the last Muppet 3-D show. It's a hoot. Makes me laugh out loud.

We walked around Downtown Disney and decided we would go back there tomorrow on our non-Park day. Lots of neat stuff. Social Distortion is playing the House Of Blues. I guess they are a little bluesy. But the shows are sold out. And it's Valentine's Day so I expect everything will be crowded. But we'll see.

Then we went to find or spot.

It's still there, of course. But they have bricked it over. Just for grins and to make Rachel happy, I got down on my knee again for her.

Oh, and she said "yes" again.

Then it was about time for fireworks show.
It was UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Without question, the best fireworks show I have ever seen. Now, there's something to be said for the experience of watching fireworks from our deck with friends on the 4th of July. But as far as actual fireworks displays go, this one is amazing. They've jazzed it up a bit for the 50th. Lots of neat shapes - some Mickey's, and some hearts, and Dre saw a 50, but I missed it. I shot
most of it on video with the digital camera. It doesn't do the show any justice, but it's still fun to watch. Tink flys out again. And it goes off in two places. It's hard to know where you are supposed to be looking and I frequently was looking at the castle and heard a boom behind me and vice versa. Oh, and they had these gargantuan fireballs and you could feel the heat froom them. I want to see them again and just enjoy them instead of trying to film it. Maybe Friday. Oh, and they have the biggest pin wheels I have ever seen. The show lasts about 20 minutes (precisely 19 minutes 20 seconds according to a man with a garbage can and broom). The fireworks alone are probably worth the price of admission and left us wondering how they make money some days.

I mean, do they actually lose money on slow days like this? There's still the $5.00 waters and tons of shops. But they are running everything full tilt but are nowhere near capacity as far as attendance goes. It was President's Day, but it was still pretty slow - nowhere near as crowded as a typical weekday in the Summer. And the rest of the week should be even less crowded. Maybe they make just a little money on days like today and just a ton of money on busy days.

I've got to get some sleep now. We're sleeping in a little and then meeting for breakfast downstairs. I need to buy some shorts and maybe a pair of jeans.

Here's a picture of me and Jake just happy to be together and hanging out at the happiest place on Earth.

Goodnight for now. More tomorrow or the next day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

eric! i'm so jealous!
we did the 50th in florida so i'm right there with you on the fireworks display....
like nothin i've ever seen! the few peeks i got of jakers looks like he's enjoying himself
so at least he's not "too cool" for Disneyland, ya know?
send more pics stat! i'm buried in two feet a snow up in here!
Glenn

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home