Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My new favorite thing...

I wish I took a picture. Next time I will. So you know that Sting song, Englishman In New York? There's a line that says, "I don't drink coffee, I take tea my dear/I like my toast done on one side." Well, I always wondered how you get your toast done on one side short of using the broiler. But tonight! Oh tonight! It was a glorious sandwich!

I decided I wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner.

That's right, peanut butter and jelly (Family Guy version.)

It was late and I didn't want anything too heavy. Anyway, it occured to me that I could put two pieces of bread in one slot of the toaster thereby toasting each piece on the outside. It sounds crazy, I know. But hey, that's me, I live on the edge. I'm extreme long after it was cool to be extreme.

It was awesome. Quite possibly the very best I've ever had. The outside was crunchy, but the inside was warm and soft and a little steamy. The peanut butter got melty, but not so melty that it dripped out on my shirt or anything. And the jelly didn't get hot like it does when you toast both sides of the bread.

In my opinion, this is cooking bordering on art. I took ingredients - peanut butter, jelly, and bread, followed some general principles, and got creative.

And you know what - this is just the sort of wacky thing that could really take off and sweep the nation. Perhaps I will be famous soon for inventing the toasted PBJ with a soft steamy center. But that just doesn't quite roll off the tongue right. I need a name for my creation. You know, "fried bread with an egg in the middle" would never have caught on if it weren't called "Birds In A Nest."

How about "Crunchy Chewy Peanut Butter and Jelly?" CCPBJ for short. Crunchewy PBJ? Best Damned Peanut Butter and Jelly Ever - BDPBJE?

PBJ ala E?

Any ideas? Maybe make one, eat it, and see if it inspires you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home