Monday, May 01, 2006

Si, se puede...

So I made burritos tonight. Just a coincidence, really- not any kind of solidarity statement. We were going to have them last night but with the dogs and all, we just didn't get around to it. They were yummy. And Ted, I did use vegetarian no fat beans.

Work was good, I got a lot done, but had a few computer problems. My laptop seems to want to freeze up right as I reach for the "save" button. Jake and I did some chores together. He pulled weeds while I washed the Jetta. And Rachel went to the store.

Anyway, we had dinner, and then watched 24. And then, as usual, we watched the 10:00 News while Rachel repeatedly said, "I have to go to bed." And we got sucked in to coverage of the marches today which led to a lively discussion.

And the weird thing is this issue seems like just a major time suck to me. I don't see an answer. I think it may be just another Republican "wedge" issue like abortion or school prayer. Maybe they are trying to get us all xenophobic ahead of the upcoming elections? I don't know. Rachel thinks that the people who hir the illegals should be punished and not the illegals themselves. We saw one total idiot of a woman whose big concern was that "the car washes are closed because they are all run by Mexicans. So guess what- I have a dirty car." Oh you poor lady. She made me almost throw up a little.

Then there's the issue of people who want them all kicked out -how would you like to pay $40 for a car wash instead of $20? How about $60 for your family dinner at the Olive Garden instead of $50? $1.79 for that head of lettuce instead of $0.79? (I still can't find the damned cents sign on a computer.) If you argue that the immigrants are a drain on our economy and social services and education and law enforcement budgets, well, yes, they are. But they also reduce the prices we pay for a lot of goods and services. Is it a wash? I don't know.

If you argue for immigration reform and crimiinalizing it, well, I don't think that will do much to stem the tide. If you argue for amnesty, well, guess what, then those people will be expanding the roles of the WalMart work force and more illegals will come to fill the vacancies left by those who are now working and paying taxes. Or they will continue to work illegally despite the amnesty because there will always be a market for cheap labor.

So I don't see a solution. Do any of you? I think things just carry on the way they have and the whole "felony" status in the house bill will just go away. Although, this did get me thinking about all of those detention center contracts awarded to KBR/Halliburton. Am I missing something? Is it in anyone's best interest to round them all up as felons?

Also in politics - where are we on this whole Governor's race? I know I don't want any more Ahnold. And I like Westly. But there's Angelides who seems to have the cop/fire vote. I'll have to check with my neighbor the Sheriff's Deputy to be sure. I like that Westly is focussing on education and a better future rather than the police/fire sare tactics in Angelides campaign. The latter almost sounds Republican, but we know Ahnold can't get the cop vote. Or the teachers and nurses for that matter. Whose he got? The immigrants? I doubt it. Just big old business. I am worried that if Westly wins, Angelides will run indie and split the vote leaving us with more Ahnold. I really hope this doesn't happen.

On another topic, the dogs are doing OK as of this afternoon when Dr. Smith...I mean Jeff called with an update. They may be able to come home tomorrow, but that will depend largely on the results of the blood tests. Oh, and Moe is worse off than Cody and smells really bad. A bit of a mixed message there, but there it is, that was his update this afternoon. I asked if I could visit, and he said he would prefer it if I did so in the morning while they are sedated. So maybe I'll go. I'm a little torn because I don't want to get them worked up, but I think they would like to know how much we are thinking about them and that we are coming back for them.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers and kind words from all of you readers and those like Brie who have this blog read to you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To get a ¢ sign:

1) Numlock on.
2) Use keypad numbers (the ones with the arrows, Home, Page Up, etc.)
3) Alt+0162

Good blog post on the subject:
http://www.charlieanderson.com/centsign.htm

7:25 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

©...Nope...

ĉ...Nope...

¢...Got it!!!

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home