Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Is that what I think it is...

I'll wait for Scott to confirm, but I'm 99% sure this is a nasty creepy crawly.

But then by the time he gets his internet working and all, this post will probably be way down and he won't see it. Unless I fall in to one of my lulls again.

Anyway, Rachel and I took a few shots of one of the flowers she planted, experimenting with depth of field and such. The light was bad, but this one came out pretty good.


Rachel just got home and she assures me that the first picture is "totally a black widow."

Anyway - she and Jake got back from a Remicaid treatment. His blood work was good and his sed rate was 15. So after consulting with Dr. Rich, we are going taking him off of the 6MP and up his Pentasa a little. Apparently some people who have been taking the combination of 6MP and Pentasa have developed lymphoma that shows up later on in years. So, you know, with this ulcerative colitis, there's always ups and downs. What we've been doing was working, but then now we find out there are some side effects. All you can do is knock wood and pray a little. And he hasn't had a flare up in a couple of years now, so that's a blessing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted Seymour said...

Did you photoshop that hourglass into the picture of the spider? I'll 2nd Rachel - "That is totally a Black Widow."

I was cleaning my garage last night and ran across the largest spider I've ever seen - kind of a Daddy LongLegs kind of thing, but the legspan was about 5", more of a GrandDaddy LongLegs. Jeez. I have a central vac, the suction of which he managed to resist. I then thought, you know I like spiders, kind of, and maybe I should just let him be because he probably eats lots of other bugs which I may not be as partial to. So I let him stay in his new hideout place in the corner. When I went back to clean out the area where he had been, I noticed Grandma LongLegs in there, and I came to the realization that I don't want 3,500 little GrandBaby LongLegses in my garage so she got sucked up in the central vac. I then had to go through how sad Grandpa will be when he gets back to the roost and finds grandma gone. I figured too that I could just dump the vac in the morning along with the other spiders and the Earwigs (now those I DO NOT LIKE), but then I realized that they had been spinning in an arachnid dustbowl and 2,300rpm for about 10 minutes so I think they're done for. May they come back in a higher life form.

FYI on the photo front, to minimize the depth of field, you'll want to set your exposure dial to Aperture Value (Av) and open the aperture all the way (smallest number). THe closer you are to the subject in focus, the less of everything else that will remain in focus as well.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I like that last paragraph. There's a whole chapter on that in my digital photography book and all that did was confuse me.

I will do a post on the biggest spider I've seen. We get some Shelobs here fairly regularly, although I haven't seen one this year.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I generally have a "catch and release" policy regarding spiders. Let them eat the other bugs that are out there. My exception so far has been the black widows - I have found 2 or 3 since I moved back to Cali. They are all in spider heaven now. And yes, that pic looks like a widow.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home