Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Today winds down...

I had a great nap.

OK, I'm kidding. I did end up going. It was a bit of a drag getting there. The first poorly managed event I've seen at this conference. There was a lot of confusion about when the buses were supposed to leave. 6:00 or 6:30. And as we were leaving at 6:30, some of the other event participants were just returning from golf and a couple of others. Then they took a scenic route that, while pretty along the coast, took almost an hour.

Interesting thing - the road we took is pretty analogous to driving the 1 in California. The key difference being the road in California is windy and treacherous and this road is flat and relatively straight. And you are just 50 feet or so from the ocean. I mentioned this observation to Mark who commented that it had to do with the continental plates and whatnot.

The museum was pretty cool. I sort of wish I had brought my Canon, but on the other hand, it is bulky and expensive and I'd much rather have something bad happen to our trusty little Kodak. And I think it did OK. We'll see when I get home.

Again, fantastic giveaways. You had to get there early to get one, but they had these Thunderbirds and Pink Ladies jackets that cracked me up...



And they also had these Elvis wigs and Elvis sunglasses with fake sideburns dangling from the frames. And scarfs for the ladies.

There were some cool cars - old Vettes, old Jags, a beautiful brown convertible Mustang and a really clean old Chevy truck (Late 50's?)



The food was burgers, fries and hot dogs. The staff was all in 50's garb. It was cool. Oh, and they had fantastic appetizers. My favorite was roasted pistachio coated smoked Gouda. I pretty much had appetizers for dinner because I was still pretty full from the late afternoon meal at Hugh's.

I also felt like I was back on top of my game today as far as meeting people goes. It's funny - it is really a skill to be able to engage strangers in conversation, and if you don't use it, it atrophies. But it's like falling off a bicycle; you never forget how to do it.

Like that gratuitous semicolon?

And I'm going to see if I can upload a little video...



Looks like that worked. Maybe I'll reprise my Elvis Dracula this Halloween.

So I'm going to go pack now. I am not sure where I am going to fit all of the cool stuff I got. Oh, I forgot to mention that at the cooking class, we got a logo apron and a really nice wooden "cookbook stand" with a Nuance logo on it. Honestly, some things might not make the cut. Like the sombreros. Rachel and Laurie said I should just wear the sombrero on the plane. But if I can't get it in the suitcase, it's staying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home