Friday, January 04, 2008

A close call and a close shave...

I really can't believe this day so far - and it's not even half over yet. Jake was supposed to wake me up at 5:30 so we could leave at 6:00 and pick up his buddy and get down to weigh ins. He overslept somehow - and he never does that. So we get out the door at like 10 after 6, which is when we were supposed to pick up Andrew. And it's cold and dark and storming. And the quickest way to get to Andrew's place is to go out one gate and in another. And we get there, and the gate won't go up. So I back up and try again. Then Deputy Doolittle the security guard shows up and I explain that we are running late for a wrestling tournament, and could he please pop the gate manually. And he fumbles around and can't find the key. And we're there for like ten minutes. While we're there, Andrew's Mom goes out the gate but doesn't realize it's us stuck at the gate. So that all just sucked. I backed out and called Andrew's house and was told that his Mom took him.

So Jake and I headed for the high school. I apologized and bought Andrew breakfast.

So Jake made weight and everything - and I went to set up the coffee in the coaches' room. And then I went back to the gym. And then I decided to go home and collect a few things and Rachel and head back.

I pulled in to the driveway to find my garage taking on water. I had to pull the grates, scoop out a bunch of leaves that had clogged it, and then take a plunger to the drain hole.
By this time, I was drenched to the bone and freezing and feeling the sick - aches, cough, etc. But at least my garage drained.

Then I was about to get in the hot tub to take the chill off and Rachel tells me, "Jake just called and at check in they said he has to shave or he can't wrestle." Good thing we got him that cell phone. So then I put my wet clothes back on and grabbed every shaving implement I could find - wasn't sure what I'd be faced with - stubble? wipsy blondies? wiry mustache? fuzzy sideburns?

And Shoot, I have to run now - I'll finish this later. I have to go make as much pasta as we have in the house to feed hungry coaches. Because of the power outage, we are down to 5 measly pizzas.

Oh, and Jake called and he won his first match. He won by pin!!!! And I'm really bummed I missed it, but you know, Responsibiltyuns. And there will be more wins.

Here's a brief look at the weather I was talking about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home