Monday, June 30, 2008

Almost back to normal...




Last night I saw three shooting stars from the hot tub.


And this morning, I woke up to this...



It looks to me like things are almost back to normal. And my eyes don't hurt this morning. And if I let my imagination run a little, in the picture, it looks like God took a giant broom and swept all of the smoke in to one long pile stretching from horizon to horizon.


And then there's this...



Robert Koch, with hose, of PatRick Corporation, a private contractor from Oregon, hoses down a house as a wildfire approaches on Partington Ridge Rd. South of Big Sur, Calif., Friday, June 27, 2008. Fire crews continue to fight the Basin Complex fire, which is burning in the Los Padres National Forest near the coastal town of Big Sur.(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)


I heard about this after the fires in Southern California last year. Apparently, if you have enough money, you can hire a private fire department to save your home. This is so weird to me. And the social implications are staggering. Private schools, private security, and now private fire departments. Just a little reminder that we really need to stop spending tax dollars on destroying and killing in the name of freedom and invest here at home.


And I pulled weeds and put down mulch in the pond area this weekend.



Jake is pulling more weeds today around our yard. And this afternoon, I plan on trimming a couple of trees and maybe weed whacking the vacant lot behind our house. The weeds there are dry and as tall as Jake.


I am glad for the short week this week in a lot of ways. But the sad thing is that I have way more work than I could get done in a regular 40 hour week. And last week, a couple of people threw more work my way. They didn't ask, "Do you have time for this?" or, "When do you think you could get this done?" And it really pissed me off.


And we are expecting a visit from Laurie this week, today or tomorrow until...well, until she feels like going home again, I guess.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Fire departments for hire. I thought that is how they started out. I remember something from Antique Roadshow where there was a sign that the fire department would put on a building to indicate that they had paid the extor... I mean that it was a house that would be attended to in case of a fire.

The air was pretty bad here, but then it got not so bad (not to the point of good, but not as bad), then this morning, I got up & thought - gee - that's odd. It is overcast out & the weatherman said it was supposed to get up to the triple digits today. It is now up to the triple digits & it wasn't overcast - just back to bad air - my wife and dog are both wheezing.

A friend of mine is getting married in September - and where did they make their reservations? Big Sur. I haven't checked the status of that particular facility, but I figured it wouldn't do much good to check before they get the fire under control. Last I heard, they were hoping to have it contained by the end of the month.

-Joe

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home