Friday, March 20, 2009

Trip recap...

So like I said, I'm home. I missed my scheduled flight yesterday. That hasn't happened in years.

How did it happen? Well, a series of unfortunate events befell me. I planned to leave the hotel by 8:00 AM to drive the 25 minutes to the airport and leaving plenty of time in case of traffic and to return the rental boat...car. Did I mention the car? A black Lincoln Town Car all week. I felt like a Czech limo driver or a getaway drive for a mob hit.

Anyway, my 7:00 wake up call came at 7:20. I cut my shower short and packed faster and less orderly than I would have liked. I checked out of the hotel at 8:15. Still plenty of time so long as traffic wasn't too bad. Then the Neverlost GPS sat "acquiring satellites" for 8 minutes. So I just started driving hoping it would kick on along the way. It did, and I found myself traveling in the wrong direction. Another 3 minutes lost while I made a U-turn.

Then there was this...



...and then this...



For me, that is one of the worst feelings - freaking out about missing a flight. Because if I miss it, I know that it will have a huge impact on others. And it also means that it will take a lot longer to get home which is where I really really really want to be.

I drive along, a little faster than I otherwise would, cursing every little thing that gets in my way. I scowl, my heart races, and I keep calculating and recalculating the odds of making it. I engage in wishful thinking - oh I hope the plane is delayed! Oh, please, just let the traffic open pick up! Maybe there will be no line to check in.

At some point, I accept the fact that I am just not going to make the flight. The point of acceptance is at least ten or fifteen minutes after the actual point where making the flight became an impossibility. And then a strange sense of calm comes over me. It's a relief, really. I am not going to make this flight, and there is nothing I can do about it. I sit back, enjoy the ride, and begin thinking logically about the tasks I will need to complete to make it home.

Anyway, it was a productive trip. The project is interesting. I am faced with some interesting challenges and problems to solve. And some ridiculous short time lines. But that's what I do. And it will be pretty cool to have this system on my resume. The number is published on every bag, cup, and wrapper McDonald's dishes out.

It was a stressful week, and at the end, our contacts at McDonald's tried to make up for it by showering us with gifts and such. I got a tote bag that looks like a French Fry box, some T-shirts, a collector's tin of playing cards, and 30 bucks worth of McDonald's gift certificates. I think I will find some needy people at Wal-Mart to give those to.


I also got to see our new offices for the first time. Here's me and Brian, my long time boss and longer time friend...

Here's me at customer site on St. Patrick's Day.

Michael took me to dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and it was delicious.

You might recall how I have been working really hard to eat better. And, for the most part, doing a good job of it. Well this week, the Healthy Eating Train went off the rails. In between that dinner with Brian and the trip home, there was lunch, you know, at McDonald's. And room service pizza. I tried to get fruit when I could. But it was hard to come by.

Anyway, because Jeff is here, Rachel was able to pick me up in Oakland. And we had a really nice drive home together from there.

Today, well, I'm pretty tired. But I'm getting things done. I just need to fill out my expense report and send a couple of e-mails and I will call it a day.

I believe family movie night will be Quantum of Solace. And I am very much looking forward to that.

And now I hear my dear sister is coming up for a visits, so, you know, double yippee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home