Thursday, February 02, 2006

Check it out now...

...a funk soul brother.

What can I say about Glenn? Well, most of my favorite people are people who I have spent a lot of time with. I have a small circle of close friends that I would do about anything for - the guys in my wedding party, Ted (who performed the ceremony), and Brad (who was on the bubble but there weren't enough girls to make it even - and then Scott surprised me and jacked that up anyway). These are the guys I would stand up with in a bar fight even if they were the assholes that started it. The guys I'd give up a kidney for. We have history and a whole big bag of memories together.

Then there's Glenn. Glenn is the person in my life that I love the most that I have spent the least amount of time with. In fact, we've only been together on three occasions. Once when he and Michelle came out for a visit (where he nearly assaulted Rainbow Brite outside of The Gap after she insulted Michelle), once in Chicago where Rachel flew out from California and he and Michelle flew in from New York for a few days (where we had the infamous Danny Dugo adventure and dinner with a convicted felon and Travis and Julie) and then again last Summer when he and Michelle came out for Lauren and Paul's wedding (where he helped transform our yard in to a lovely wedding garden). In all, maybe 10 days together. But I love the guy. He's family. And I would proudly stand up for with him in a bar fight. And the kidney... well, he's got like 14 brothers, but if he really needed it, sure - why not?

Here's a picture of me and Glenn on the day before the wedding after putting the final touches on the yard. That white stuff on my shirt is salt. Also, the area outside the sun room that we packed with crushed granite together has been named Glenndale Beach after him.



And here we are later that night at Paul's Bachellor party. He can put away the beers, but he's not much for shots. And he's in to Karaoke like nobody else I know.



I took to calling him Glenndelicous. That nickname evolved to the Moon of Glendor because of his love of camp and geekiness (you know, the Moon of Endor where the Ewoks live). And it just keeps getting longer. He is now The Reverend Sun Young Moon of Glendor. And I may expand it to The Mighty Mighty Reverend Horton Heat Heard A Who Sun Young Moon Of Glenndor, Esquire. TMMRRHHHAWSYMOG for short. But even that's pretty long.

Why the tribute tonight? I just found out he's got a blog up, and I've given him spot A at the top of my links list. If you've got some time, pop on over to it. He's an amazing artist who feeds his family with his creativity and talent. I think that's something worthy of admiration even if he can't get his daughters cheeks right or drink the strong stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Eric!
My West Coast Cuz!
you're making me blush 3000 miles away! what an honor to get such a toast-
thank you man...i think you know we pack quality into the short time we get to hang
together, cause we know it's fleeting...thanks for the top billing!
hope i can live up to it!
please give love to the west coast family for me.
(and come east and let's catch a Yanks/Sox game this summer!)
ribbit!
Glenn

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home