Wednesday, October 24, 2007

One for the road...

So it's all wrapped up. I am pretty much all packed, I just have to find a few places for a few things. I'll get a picture up of the various and sundry items I managed to cram in to my luggage.

This morning I woke up and realized the oddest thing. I went to the gift shop, you know to pick up a couple of gifts. And it was the first time since I arrived and checked in that I have needed my wallet. While here, most of your needs are taken care of. And a 18%"gratuity" is figured in to not only every transaction from the bar to the spa, but there is a daily $18 per day "gratuity fee" worked in to your hotel bill. So you are not supposed to tip people for schlepping bags or opening doors or cleaning your room or anything.

I realized this is the closest I will ever get to knowing what it feels like to be fabulously wealthy.

I wonder how this came about. I mean, did rich people have tip anxiety? Did rich people suffer from guilt over not tipping? Does the house take a cut of all of these gratuity fees? Does the woman who cleans my room receive her fair share of the gratuity fee? Does she receive as much as the attractive and well dressed concierge who summons the cleaning woman to my room when I ask?

It does give me an interesting insight in to what it must be like to be rich. You pay for your own expensive tastes and leave the needs of the less fortunate in the hands of someone else, assuming (incorrectly) that it all works out fair for everybody.

I don't know where all of these thoughts came from, I just woke up with them in my head.

Anyway, I gotta go so I don't end up in boarding group C. It's back to reality for me right quick.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out taking care of things around my house while I was here.

Rachel and Jake, I love you and I'll see you toight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home