Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Dude Obides...

I wish I could say I made that up, but I read it on DailyKOS last night...well, early this morning before bed. (See tidbit about sleep disorders below)


How long before the knuckle dragging Republican "creative" types come up with Obama Bin Baden or something?

Anyway - I got my message from the Obama campaign. That was fun. But I don't give out my cell phone number for things like this so I didn't get the 3:00AM text message. I wonder if Hillary did? "It's 3:00AM, and a blackberry is buzzing at the Clinton house..."

But this is what most people got...

You might recall that after Edwards' was disgraced, I was having trouble figuring out who I wanted Obama to pick. Last week, I almost posted about selecting Bigfoot as a running mate. You know, he would be the ULTIMATE Washington outsider. He's also strong on environmentalism, personal privacy, open space, anti-logging, anti-surveilance. And he has a proven track record of avoiding confrontation. And although he was not in office at the time, I am confident he would have voted against the Iraq War.

When I first heard of his pick, I uttered a Dude like, "Huh...That's f*&%ing interesting, man." And today, I'm kind of excited. I've read criticism that Obama picked him to "plug a gap." That Biden brings foreign policy and political experience that Obama lacks. But I also read where Obama pledged to pick a vice president who would challenge him. He said:

"I want somebody who is independent. Somebody who is able to say to me, 'you know what, Mr. President, I think you're wrong on this and here's why' and will give me (applause) who will help me think through major issues and consult with me, would be a key advisor."

With that in mind, I am well pleased with his choice.

And, you know, there's always "Bigfoot/Yeti in 2016"
I guess the only question now is who will portray Biden on Saturday Night Live.

Also, I recently discovered that I have "suffered" from a known condition for most of my life. A lot of you know me to be a "night owl." But it seems I actually suffer from Delayed sleep phase syndrome.

Delayed sleep-phase syndrome (DSPS), also known as delayed sleep-phase disorder (DSPD) or delayed sleep-phase type (DSPT), is a circadian rhythm sleep disorder, a chronic disorder of the timing of sleep, peak period of alertness, core body temperature, hormonal and other daily rhythms relative to the usual norms. People with DSPS tend to fall asleep some hours after midnight and have difficulty waking up in the morning.


Often, people with the disorder report that they cannot sleep until early morning, but they fall asleep at about the same time every "night", no matter what time they go to bed. Unless they have another sleep disorder such as sleep apnea in addition to DSPS, patients can sleep well and have a normal need for sleep. Therefore, they find it very difficult to wake up in time for a typical school or work day. If, however, they are allowed to follow their own schedule, e.g. sleeping from 4 a.m. to noon, they sleep soundly, awaken spontaneously, and do not feel sleepy again until their next "night"...


...Working the evening or night shift, or working at home, makes DSPS less of an obstacle for some. Many of these people do not describe their pattern as a "disorder." Some DSPS individuals nap, even taking 4-5 hours of sleep in the morning and 4-5 in the evening. DSPS-friendly careers can include security work, work in theater, the entertainment industry, the media, freelance writing, call center work, nursing, taxi or truck driving and hospitality work in restaurants, hotels or bars.

So maybe I should change my career up a bit and become a home office bartender who does freelance writing on the side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home