Friday, October 03, 2008

Manny Who?

I mean, sure, he's doing well, and good for him and all. But I think we did just fine in that trade.

Tonight it was a tight game late. And I got that great feeling of watching a game that really matters to me. Where you get butterflies on every pitch. And it reminded me of '86 a little.

And I realized that I will never feel again like I did in '86. It's taken me two World Series wins and another post season to realize this. Whether they win or lose, it will never matter as much to me as it did then. The curse is behind us, and a part of me misses it.

It used to be that if you were wearing a Red Sox hat, the fact that you liked them genuinely and passionately was a given. There are a lot of Red Sox Nation immigrants that never went through what I and my father before me went through. I guess the only people that can still feel the way we did are Cubs fans.

Sorry Ted.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ted Seymour said...

I know. In a way it's all a lie, being a Cubs fan now, or a Red Sox fan in '86. You root for them because you sincerely want them to win, but then on a deeper level, I think you want them to lose, so you can still identify with them. Once they win, then there's some luster gone. Cubs are down 2-0. Definitely rooting for them tonight. Think actually they'll probably win. Would love them in the world series, but should they get there, best they lose in 7 so as to be able to root for them over and over again from the "lovable loser" place hidden within.

What am I saying, Manny will put them away tonight and then come back to haunt the Red Sox in the WS. Perhaps.....?

3:32 PM  
Blogger Ted Seymour said...

Sorry about BoSox losing to Rays. It was a great series and the Red Sox did admirably. What a comeback in the 8-7 win in game 6. Some year, the cubs and redsox will be int he series against each other. Maybe too in this lifetime. Can't wait to watch those games with you.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home