Thursday, November 06, 2008

Got a checkup after I voted...

Here's me in my prom dress...

Everything was good except for my cholesterol.

And I'm bumming about what has to happen. I have to change my diet and exercise.

Now, if you wanted to come up with a list of foods to avoid if you have high cholesterol, it's pretty easy. Just take the list of my 100 favorite things to eat and preface the list with big red letters that say:

DON'T EAT THESE FOODS EVER!

So now the further adventures of the wok every night.

Did you know that one serving of ice cream has roughly 30% of the cholesterol one should consume in a day? And did you know that one serving of ice cream is about 1/2 cup? So yeah, when I have a bowl of coffee ice cream with 3 scoops, and each scoop is about a cup, that's 180% of the cholesterol one should eat on a "normal" diet. And I have to lower mine. So I pretty much just get to lick the glass in the grocery store.

Whatever, I am learning to cook new and healthier things. And Mike and Ikes are still OK.

So yeah, if I stick to this and get some exercise and the meds help, I wonder if I will still be blogging when I'm 70.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ted Seymour said...

Maybe you should write a blog post from the future: pretend you are 70 and still blogging and write about the changes you've made and the life as you see it. miss you, but not nearly as much as I would if you weren't blogging at 70.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

What was yours? Mine was 148 LDL and 60 HDL

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the land of high cholesterol - my doctor gave up that I am actually going to lose weight anytime soon, so I am living with meds. The meds actaully are putting me into a healthy zone - of course, not as healthy as if I ate better and exercised.

As far as the banned foods - There was a couple sayings I learned at weight watchers meetings that I still remember. The first is that you can eat anything you want, just not as much as you want. The second thing was - have you ever noticed that it is always the first bite of something that testes the best? Each successive bite has less and less of an impact. So - why not just take one bite and stop?

Let's see - helpful dieting food - Egg Beaters (not generic). Low in calories and zero cholesterol. If I am getting fancy, I will add Soyrizo to my fancy fake eggs. Soyrizo is one of the few soy substitutes that I actually enjoy.

-Joe

6:34 AM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Thanks for the support. Good to know I'm not alone in this. I'm getting used to the dietary adjustments and I'm going to start on the exercise next week. So far, I am not really liking bad food substitutes, but my thinking is that over time they will taste better. But right now, all I taste is how different it tastes than the real thing. Vanilla Swiss Almond "Rice Dream" may taste good, but when I tried it last night, all I could think was, "This ain't Hagen-Das". But chicken breasts on the Foreman grill are fine. And coconut milk has no cholesterol - so curries should be fine, and I like curries.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home