Thursday, October 30, 2008

Not Ready Yet?

Last night after Obama's 1/2 hour special, McCain ran a misleading ad that offended me. I mean it offended me more than most. Aside from saying that Obama would "tax our economy deeper in to recession," it ended by saying that Barack is "NOT READY...YET."


My thoughts are still forming as to why this offends me so strongly. In part, I know it has to do with the history of the Civil Rights movement. And I think the ad is trying to bring up racial issues in addition to the experience issues they have been trying to raise for months. I immediately thought of the phrase, "Justice delayed is justice denied," spoken, I believe first, by Martin Luther King.


Sadly, I think this is one more lame excuse for racist people to cling to so they can justify their unwillingness to vote for a black man without admitting to themselves that they are, in fact, racists. Through his words and actions, Obama has demonstrated that he does have the experience to lead our nation. And the Palin selection took a lot of the air out of that ballon for the McCain campaign. So they have shifted the message slightly to lead people to think, "Yeah, I'm not racist, he's not ready yet, and I will vote for him in 4 or 8 years when he is ready."


Add to that Obama, once again, looks suspiciously darker (and angrier) in the McCain ad than he does just about anywhere else.


The obvious response, I think is an ad showing McCain falling asleep during the State of the Union address with text that reads "NOT READY...ANYMORE."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home