Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Feel free to be clumsy...

I spent the last two mornings learning how to help if you get hurt around me. I'm all certified on First Aid, CPR, and those new fangled defib machines. Although I don't own one, so please, refrain from any cardiac related accidents around here.

That's Jerry on the left - the instructor.

My new favorite thing is the "triangle bandage." How did I not know about these before? You can do anything with them - you can make a sling, roll it up for a hand injury, use it as a splint binder. I think you can even use it as a hammock or a make shift lean to.


A lot of things are different from the last time I took this type of course. I remember three quick breaths, then 7:1 compressions to breaths. Now it's 30:2. And they are now called "rescue breaths." Other than that - it's the same general principle- prolonging life until the real EMTs get there as best you can. I learned that we handled Jake's finger injury about right. And I also learned that we probably should have called for an ambulance that one time when Michael got light headed and went down on all fours in the kitchen. Maybe he would have gotten that pacemaker a few months sooner.

In addition to the training, I got some good advice from Tony about deciding whether or not to get involved. His advice is save it for family and friends you know well. Because of the various flavors and strains of Hepatitis and other pathogens, you don't want to go around rescue breathing for every Tom Dick or Harry you come across.

I think the best thing is having some training in my brain so I don't have to think about what to do, I will just do. Especially with the pool and coaching Little League and all.

If you get the chance, it's a class worth taking. I hope I never have to use it on anyone who reads this, but I feel better knowing I'll know what to do should the need arise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They used to have these little prophylactic devices you could carry around for the mouth to mouth part. If you're serious about saving lives with your new found knowledge and you are squeamish about germs, you might look into one, and just throw it in your car or something.

-Scott

9:03 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Hey Scott- so yeah, I've got one stashed in my man-purse now, but it seems like little more than a coffee filter between me and Hepatitis C, you know? There are some with one-way valves and all, and I haven't priced them out yet. But I might.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home